anvil stand

/ anvil stand #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
On Friday at work, I build this anvil stand. The anvil is quite heavy and I used a fork lift to get it on top. The rim is 40's truck vintage. The only cutting I did was via hand-help band saw to cut those angles and all parts seen were found in the lengths seen. I work at a metal recycling yard. :LOL: I should have put a hammer holding loop on it. I like to use rims so one person can roll it around by yourself. I've not used .045 wire before and getting to really like that size. What do you think of it?
P1010892.jpg
P1010893.jpg

/ anvil stand #2  
Very nice. Looks a little tall though but I know photos can be deceiving.

How heavy is the anvil?

/ anvil stand
I believe its less than 200lbs. Its quiet old but in great shape. Suppose I should have put something in the photo to show its size, like a dollar bill. :unsure:

/ anvil stand #4  
Looks good! Any plans to add some tool holders? I looked and looked for a nice anvil like yours, all that I could find were very expensive!
My brother gave me a piece of railroad track, it took a lot of cutting and grinding but I ended up with a very useful home made Anvil.

Mike

/ anvil stand
Looks good! Any plans to add some tool holders? I looked and looked for a nice anvil like yours, all that I could find were very expensive!
My brother gave me a piece of railroad track, it took a lot of cutting and grinding but I ended up with a very useful home made Anvil. Mike
Well, RR track is all the anvil I personally own as well. If you can find heaveir rail, like 80lbs or highter. Its still pretty good..

/ anvil stand #6  
Typically the preferred height for a blacksmithing anvil is you standing next to anvil with arm extended and your knuckles just touch on face of anvil....

Other wise it looks good, glad you did not weld anvil to stand and only used clamping brackets....

fig244.jpg.cee155e9846c3bde20b71006781034fc.jpg

/ anvil stand #7  
On Friday at work, I build this anvil stand. The anvil is quite heavy and I used a fork lift to get it on top. The rim is 40's truck vintage. The only cutting I did was via hand-help band saw to cut those angles and all parts seen were found in the lengths seen. I work at a metal recycling yard. :LOL: I should have put a hammer holding loop on it. I like to use rims so one person can roll it around by yourself. I've not used .045 wire before and getting to really like that size. What do you think of it?
Well done! I started playing with stock removal knife making during the first go around of quarantine... built a gas forge for heat treating and modified a cheap HF belt sander to learn on. One of the things that fascinated me in reading forums was the absolute diversity of homebuilt anvil stands and also improvised anvils. Have a 4" round by 3.5' long chunk of solid axle in the shop that might make a decent knife anvil if I can ever get around to mounting it in a stand and dressing the flat face.

/ anvil stand #8  
My brother gave me a piece of railroad track, it took a lot of cutting and grinding but I ended up with a very useful home made Anvil.

Mike
Have you looked at these..... They are cast steel and pretty well accepted in blacksmithing areas..... Pretty decent anvil for the price...

/ anvil stand #9  
I use a tree stump for mine