Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts?

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #181  
I'm almost always the guy who's being passed. If I'm going the limit to five-over and someone is right behind me I'll wave and let off the gas, just to Help them on their way. I try to keep myself midway between leading and following vehicles on rural roads & freeway.

A car-length gap ahead per 10mph works for me. Nothing I want less than to be alongside another vehicle anywhere, anytime. I have brakes and plenty of time to get where I'm going. Pass me, please and get it over with.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #183  
Begs the question if the flow is 80+ in heavy urban traffic and posted is 65 and I'm towing so for me it is 55...

Plenty of whacked out drivers racing by... makes me want a traffic cam...

God help you if driving at minimum 45 mph...

?? guy ahead is 2 mph under the limit, I pass but I should only go 2mph faster? Wow!!!

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #184  
Sharn Jean and I drove to Tulsa yesterday; first time we had been on the turnpike in quite some time. They raised the speed limit to 80 mph; it was a white knuckle flight for me, since she was driving. About every other vehicle was a semi, and they were hauling the mail.
The left hand lane seemed to have it's share of go-slow idiots, who wouldn't move over, so lots of passing on the right. I didn't see one patrol car the whole trip, so some of the cars and pickups were driving every bit of 90mph. All in all, I would just as soon not drive the turnpike any more. Old HW 66 is still open; takes a bit longer, but not so scary.

Yep, I prefer the rural roads unless I have a LOT of miles to go. Drive is less hectic and the scenery can be enjoyed.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #185  
?? guy ahead is 2 mph under the limit, I pass but I should only go 2mph faster? Wow!!!
I don't know so I asked...

If posted speed is 65 and and you decide to pass the vehicle ahead traveling 63 what happens when you blow by at 73 in the eyes of the law?

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #186  
I don't know so I asked...

If posted speed is 65 and and you decide to pass the vehicle ahead traveling 63 what happens when you blow by at 73 in the eyes of the law?
Here you'd be speeding. You also probably wouldn't get stopped, as they would have to stop nearly every car on the road. It also comes down to the question; are the laws made for us, or are we here to serve the laws? As others have pointed out; driving the speed limit when everybody else is going faster is more of a hazard than the speeders. Especially if you're "That Guy" in the left hand lane doing the speed limit, passing somebody who's speedometer reads 2 mph faster, so also believes he is "doing the speed limit."

I have a digital as well as an analog speedometer in both of my pickups, they each read differently while traveling down the road. Yet the radar displays I see on construction sites show a different speed...

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #187  
I don't think of myself as serving laws, more like living happily and prosperously within them. So far I'm having a lot of fun while not breaking any laws that I know of. I stop at red lights, stay in the right lane, ... and tiptoe through roundabouts. There are many drivers who'll struggle to adapt to 'em.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #188  
I had a woman behind me who I could tell was in a hurry today. We were traveling through a built up area so I kept it within a couple mph of the 45 mph speed limit. When I stopped for a stale yellow light she pulled out into the right hand turn lane just as the light turned red, and blew straight through it.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #189  
Someone else could have timed the light and T-boned her. If I'd have been there I'd have wished I'd installed the dash-cam I bought by now. btw, trucker might have his own GPS and/or cam in addition to what his company provides.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #190  
Carmel, IN, on the north side if Indianapolis, has been replacing intersections with roundabouts since 1986. They now have 138 in the city, more than any other city in the US. There are only a couple of traffic lights left in the city. Traffic accidents are down considerably, and those that do occur are usually minor, do to the lower speeds involved.
I heard about this one afternoon when I was listening to an NPR program, and this is a link to the information about their changeover to roundabouts.

Roundabouts | City of Carmel