Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,161  
I had to look up shillelagh

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,163  
My Scottish ancestors wore dresses and blew goat bladders.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,164  
Checking international business news this morning, there is much of interest to people's retirement savings as well as the functioning of the US economy. China is shutting down factories because of an electricity shortage. This is on top of the collapse of 25% of their housing market. Europe is running out of LNG because China is buying so much. The Fed may want to start reeling in the dollar supply, but not if the want the US government to keep functioning, not that we may have a choice. Either Congress gets its act together or the US shuts down.

I met with one of my investment advisors yesterday. It's that tingly feeling in the air.

This is the chicken little guy who thinks the sky is falling. His numbers are off. China’s energy crisis will shake the whole world – . | FR24 News English

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,165  
Raising the federal debt ceiling debate, seems like it’s an annual event. It gives the talking heads something to breathlessly chatter on about for a few days.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,166  
Raising the federal debt ceiling debate, seems like it’s an annual event. It gives the talking heads something to breathlessly chatter on about for a few days.
I hope you're right. They got past the ***** veto by writing him a blank check. They got major concessions out of ***** by threatening default. ***** seems inclined to leave the responsibility with Congress, which is where it belongs. If you trust Congress you are golden, but don't count on your SS check arriving on time.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,167  
Checking international business news this morning, there is much of interest to people's retirement savings as well as the functioning of the US economy. China is shutting down factories because of an electricity shortage. This is on top of the collapse of 25% of their housing market. Europe is running out of LNG because China is buying so much. The Fed may want to start reeling in the dollar supply, but not if the want the US government to keep functioning, not that we may have a choice. Either Congress gets its act together or the US shuts down in 3 days.

I met with one of my investment advisors yesterday. It's that tingly feeling in the air.

This is the chicken little guy who thinks the sky is falling. His numbers are off. China’s energy crisis will shake the whole world – . | FR24 News English

Looks like its time for each of us ask the question 'If a downturn arrives and lasts several years can I afford to hold, in hope of sharing the rare extraordinary days that account for most of the long term increase in asset prices?'. Holding long term is what distinguishes above-average returns but not everyone can afford to risk shorter term losses.

Personally we can afford this gamble, our standard of living is mostly covered by SS and good pensions so the better-than-expected investments at this point will eventually go to the kids. Not too soon, we hope.

I think we'll hold. This strategy served us well in 1987 (22% market drop over one weekend, a couple of days later I put 50% more into S&P index, a few years later I was able to retire years sooner than I had initially planned), Y2k, 2008, etc. We hope to also share in future upturns. Basically we're betting on America overall. Alternately if things do go all to h- we can still afford to buy some income-producing assets that are then available at fire-sale prices.

Buy and hold is a worthwhile strategy.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,168  
Looks like its time for each of us ask the question 'If a downturn arrives and lasts several years can I afford to hold, in hope of sharing the rare extraordinary days that account for most of the long term increase in asset prices?'. Holding long term is what distinguishes above-average returns but not everyone can afford to risk shorter term losses.

Personally we can afford this gamble, our standard of living is mostly covered by SS and good pensions so the better-than-expected investments at this point will eventually go to the kids. Not too soon, we hope.

I think we'll hold. This strategy served us well in 1987 (22% market drop over one weekend, a couple of days later I put 50% more into S&P index, a few years later I was able to retire years sooner than I had initially planned), Y2k, 2008, etc. We hope to also share in future upturns. Basically we're betting on America overall. Alternately if things do go all to h- we can still afford to buy some income-producing assets that are then available at fire-sale prices.

Buy and hold is a worthwhile strategy.

Not just hold. Buy. Buy during the decline.

MoKelly

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,169  
Some good discussion.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,170  
Wow. Maybe there is cash somewhere to pay that dividend after all.
Forbes estimated his fortune to be worth US$27.7 billion as of March 5 on this year’s World’s Billionaires list, making him the 53rd-richest person in the world.