Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,601  
How large a dia. is too large...

Is that a 200k+ rig?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,602  

Is that a 200k+ rig?

According to the loggers I’ve got doing some work a cutter like that is $600k usd. They didn’t have one and were using a wheeled cutter. They said it was around $200k.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,603  

Is that a 200k+ rig?

I’ve cut 32” with it, delimb you’re in the 24/28” range depending on what it is.

A little less then 3x the price but that’s shipped over from Finland which I’m sure isn’t the usps flat rate.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,604  
The right equipment in the hands of a skilled operator is a sight to behold...

Always fascinated at the Port of Olympia WA with the non stop stream of logging trucks loading the sea going cargo ships…to Japan I think...

Surprised to learn some trees are simply too big...

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,605  
The right equipment in the hands of a skilled operator is a sight to behold...

Always fascinated at the Port of Olympia with the non stop stream of logging trucks going to load the sea going cargo ships to Japan I think...

Surprised to learn some tress are simply too big...

This is a thinning machine it’s light compared to the equipment you see the guys use on the clear cuts. That stuff I’m cutting there should make some Japanese export which is a fairly strict clean log.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,606  
Wasted on the stump or wasted later by taking a long butt because of the flare?
I don't know what that means LOL
I was stirring it up because it came up before.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,607  
I carry extra chains and switch them out.

I always have extra's with me, and I only sharpen them when I feel like it, at home.

SR
That was my strategy. Always had a spare sharpened one in my saw box so my day wasn't cut short by a uselessly dull chain.
I think the chain for my new saw is the same as my broken one. I haven't checked yet.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,608  
6 hours is what a lot of us work but like you said you don’t make a living doing it. Now that said with doing the maintenance at the end of the day you’re able to check the saw over, clean the bar rails, open the oiler hole, flip bar, grease the clutch bearing daily, blow the saw out, and blow out the air filter stuff you couldn’t do in the field as easily.
I kinda do that in the morning as I'm getting ready to go out.

Hmm, grease the clutch bearing?? I dont think I've ever done that.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,610  
On a different scale compared to Skeans1 :) I made a very meager start to my winter spruce/fir harvest yesterday afternoon. More of a shake-down cruise for my brain and body after being away from it for a couple hot buggy months.

First fire in the stove Monday night and 35* this morning. Woods weather is coming.

21_9_28.JPG

gg