Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,591  
I carry extra chains and switch them out.

I always have extra's with me, and I only sharpen them when I feel like it, at home.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,592  
I carry extra chains and switch them out.

I always have extra's with me, and I only sharpen them when I feel like it, at home.

SR
Same here; when we are running 2 saws in the woods I keep extra chains for both and usually have 4 chains to sharpen at days end.
I don't mind sitting at the grinder and spending an hour or so sharpening and setting rakers, it is a lot easier than the work it took to dull them.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,593  
Most times I don't even do it the same day, I guess I'm just too lazy for that.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,594  
I don't do it for a living. If I run saw 6 hours it's a good day. When I'm done I usually have other things to do, rather than sharpening.
Chains for an 18" bar also take less time than what you use, and it really doesn't take long to touch it up if I haven't been cutting rocks or barbed wire. 3 or four chains to me is just that much more weight to carry when I'm walking a mile into a boundary line.

Besides, the break is nice.

Agreed, doesn't take much to touch one up, or do a quick sharpen out in the field, when I'm done for the day, I'm done for the day.. not doing any sharpening.

6 hours is what a lot of us work but like you said you don’t make a living doing it. Now that said with doing the maintenance at the end of the day you’re able to check the saw over, clean the bar rails, open the oiler hole, flip bar, grease the clutch bearing daily, blow the saw out, and blow out the air filter stuff you couldn’t do in the field as easily.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,595  
6 hours is what a lot of us work but like you said you don’t make a living doing it. Now that said with doing the maintenance at the end of the day you’re able to check the saw over, clean the bar rails, open the oiler hole, flip bar, grease the clutch bearing daily, blow the saw out, and blow out the air filter stuff you couldn’t do in the field as easily.
Also sharpen the chain one last time, so that it's ready to go next time. :D
Whatever works...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,597  
What does that head use for cutting the logs? Does it go dull?

And what do you think that head unit costs?

Impressive maneuverability...and a smooth operator!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,598  
A little bit of fun from the other day pulling the understory out.

60 year old long log
How tall are those trees? What length are you cutting the logs?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,599  
What does that head use for cutting the logs? Does it go dull?

And what do you think that head unit costs?

Impressive maneuverability...and a smooth operator!

The head uses a 82cm bar running 404 80 gauge chain and yes it goes dull.

I’m not sure what the head costs just by itself these machines are setup as a package.

Thank you for the kind words on how I run the machine.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,600  
How tall are those trees? What length are you cutting the logs?

125 maybe 150 foot tall nothing outrageously tall, the lengths are shooting for 40’s plus a foot of trim.