Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
Nope, just the Canadian rip off dealers in northern Ontario. A Pioneer 1000-5 with only a windshield added was $34,000. A Honda Talon was $36,000.

My Kubota/Deere dealer has a John Deere XUV 835M (the one with the yellow vinyl interior, not the R with the cloth) but it still has air conditioning and heat and it is $35,000.
That is nuts. I didn't know that they were allowed to charge more than MSRP.

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #12  
@deserteagle71 What did you end up buying then?
I ended up getting a Can-am Defender HD10 Cab model. But I got the single cab - they do make a double cab that seats 6. With about 1000 miles on it, I'm pleased with it so far. The thing is amazing in rough terrain, and the engine braking going down extremely steep hills in low range is outstanding - sometimes I have to give it some throttle or it just barely moves. A feature I just love because our Search and Rescue unit has a couple Polaris Rangers that essentially just free wheel going down a hill - a dangerous situation if someone panics and doesn't apply the brakes just right.
P1009807ertbn.jpg

The windshield can be closed, cracked open, or fully open. In the above shot the windshield is cracked open which brings in plenty of cooling air if its not too hot outside. I do run the machine with the windshield fully open on hot days - struts hold it in the open position. Here's a shot with the windshield open:
P1010749ertbn.jpg

(The windows in the doors open/close with just a push of a button, same as in your car or pickup.)

When I was doing my research on the Can-am Defender forums I saw that a lot of folks that were buying these things were putting 37" and even 40" tires on them and using them as mud boggers. I figured if the drivetrain was stout enough to handle tires that tall then the rig should last forever with my intended use since I do not plan to run larger tires.

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #13  
I think just about everyone on every brand has put bigger wheels and tires on their SXS to keep from bottoming out only to dig the ruts yet a little deeper. I am sure those who sell wheels and tires love that cycle of sales.

BTW- whatever you buy, it is a lot like a tractor. The SXS is merely a down payment on all the crap you can add that costs more than the SXS in the end. It is the Lego's of man toys.

Yeah, I love can-am stuff, just wish some of the other brands had the rear seat configuration of the pioneer. I read somewhere in youtube comments that Honda has a patent on the fold down seats in the bed for 10 years. So we likely won't see anyone else duplicate this for another 4 years.

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #15  
I cross-shopped the Pioneer 1000-5 with the Yamaha Viking VI.
Liked that the Honda seats folded down when not in use, the stout drivetrain of the Honda is a big plus, and the DCT is a great unit. Have one on my Rancher and it's been bulletproof.

Ended up with the Yamaha for a couple reasons, mainly being the comfort of back seat passengers, price, and availability. I'm not a fan of any CVT unit but this one seems fine so far and given it's a Yamaha I trust their reliability.

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #16  
Yeah, I love can-am stuff, just wish some of the other brands had the rear seat configuration of the pioneer. I read somewhere in youtube comments that Honda has a patent on the fold down seats in the bed for 10 years. So we likely won't see anyone else duplicate this for another 4 years.
Go to some specific SXS forums. Everyone has complaints but there is some value in getting feedback from others. Like tractors, none are perfect or we would all own the same thing. Can-am has had some electrical issues and if I remember correctly, they are prone to throwing belts. Maybe that has changed by now. Honda can't ever quite seem to put the pizazz in their units to take over the market in spite of a reliable product.

I try to buy a little of what I want and a lot of what I need to avoid buyer's remorse. Not a glamorous endorsement but I would buy the Honda again.

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #17  
I went from a 800 Ranger to a Pioneer 1k-5 to Mule Pro FXT. I made the jump from the ranger to the pioneer for the extra seats in the bed. Well they're more of a pain than they're worth IMO. They're too small and awkward, and when they're up you have zero bed space. I also didn't like that the roll cage covered the whole bed which made it harder to load and unload stuff. It's also hard to keep a slow steady speed if you use it for spraying. And if you are putting around the heat that comes up from the seat can get pretty bad. Outside of that the Pioneer is a super solid and powerful machine. The mule is nice in that the second bench provides plenty of room and when unfolded you still have a decent amount of bed space. It's not as sporty as the Pioneer but still does what I need it to. Mine is lifted with 30" tires so it can handle pretty much anything the pioneer could. Just not as fast.

1633627304278.png

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #18  
Ended up with the Yamaha for a couple reasons, mainly being the comfort of back seat passengers, price, and availability. I'm not a fan of any CVT unit but this one seems fine so far and given it's a Yamaha I trust their reliability.
Yamaha has by far the best CVT system (the Ultramatic) in the business. Their quality control and dependability is right up there with Honda. I have a 2006 Yamaha Kodiak that has been bulletproof. If Yamaha made a Wolverine with a factory cab and roll-down windows (I insist on an all-weather, all season machine) I would own one. But they don't.

/ Comparables to Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe #19  
That is nuts. I didn't know that they were allowed to charge more than MSRP.
Looked at the quotes again.....they were with tax in, so that's why so high also.

Still way too much though for what you are getting.

I went from a 800 Ranger to a Pioneer 1k-5 to Mule Pro FXT. I made the jump from the ranger to the pioneer for the extra seats in the bed. Well they're more of a pain than they're worth IMO. They're too small and awkward, and when they're up you have zero bed space. I also didn't like that the roll cage covered the whole bed which made it harder to load and unload stuff. It's also hard to keep a slow steady speed if you use it for spraying. And if you are putting around the heat that comes up from the seat can get pretty bad. Outside of that the Pioneer is a super solid and powerful machine. The mule is nice in that the second bench provides plenty of room and when unfolded you still have a decent amount of bed space. It's not as sporty as the Pioneer but still does what I need it to. Mine is lifted with 30" tires so it can handle pretty much anything the pioneer could. Just not as fast.

View attachment 716011
I didn't know about the Mule 3 to 6 feature... that is really cool. Did you drive a Pioneer 1k-5? But this Mule is really tempting, the rear seats are really useful, dump bed. Not a crazy long wheelbase. I assume the Pioneer 1k-5 is a little more juiced on the trails, but this thing is $3k less. I really which I could test drive them, but no one has any on the lots.