Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
Trying to replace the hydraulic valve and the welded on 1/2" NPT male thread fitting broke off. Where can you get a weldable female flange to replace this poor design? I have tried Surplus Center. It is on the rod end so it is for the return of the ram.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #2  
Mcmaster-carr has weldolet fittings. Is this something you could use.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off.
Mcmaster-carr has weldolet fittings. Is this something you could use.
EXACTLY, thanks a ton.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #4  
Never seen one that had welded on male threads. You sure it isn't a nipple that just broke?

You already got the link, but I have welded many fittings that weren't the weldable type. A coupling, or adapter, or bushing. Little grinding and it looks just like a weldable fitting

Never seen one that had welded on male threads. You sure it isn't a nipple that just broke?

You already got the link, but I have welded many fittings that weren't the weldable type. A coupling, or adapter, or bushing. Little grinding and it looks just like a weldable fitting
I understand what you mean. Here is the closest thing I found to what this log splitter has on it. I probably could weld that on but just not sure if the carbon content will provide a suitable weld.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #6  
How about a picture of actual problem....Then the "collective" could better advise you....

All the splitters I have seen seem to have a female fitting welded to cylinder your statement including the word "male" muddies the waters...

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #7  
All the splitters I have seen seem to have a female fitting welded to cylinder.....
Even if it does have a male NPT nipple on it now, I'd be replacing it with a hydraulic coupling instead and get an adaptor for the hose end. Reason being if you ever monkey up the threads you can run a tap thru it, can't run a die over a nipple, it's too short. Not only that, they're a bit heavier wall.
Reason I say hydraulic is they're steel not malleable which you don't want and you can cut it in half and weld it on.............Mike

Even if it does have a male NPT nipple on it now, I'd be replacing it with a hydraulic coupling instead and get an adaptor for the hose end. Reason being if you ever monkey up the threads you can run a tap thru it, can't run a die over a nipple, it's too short. Not only that, they're a bit heavier wall.
Reason I say hydraulic is they're steel not malleable which you don't want and you can cut it in half and weld it on.............Mike
That is what I am going to do. Just as pictured in the post from George. Much better way to do it, I agree.

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #9  
Why not just weld a female coupler on?

/ Log Splitter hydraulic ram fitting broke off. #10  
Just helped a friend repair a log splitter where male fitting became cocked in the female bung of the hydraulic cylinder. Dropped a big piece of pine on the valve assembly (unprotected BTW) and it skewed the fitting about 30 degrees. The top two or three threads were smeared on one side of the female bung.

They were ORB straight walled threads, I was able to first run a thread chaser followed up with a ¾ tap. Cleaned up the threads enough that the replacement male fitting threaded and caught at least three sections of the undisturbed threads. Took torque and didn’t leak. Success.

My fall back was to weld on a new bung like the one below.

AF FBWO-08 - 1/2'' (#8) Female ORB (3/4''-16) Weld On Port [AF FBWO-08] - $8.25 : Clearwater Hydraulics LLC

I’m not a hydraulics expert. Maybe someone can enlighten all of us to the pros and cons of NPT Vs OBR fittings. Would guess the o-ring design of the ORB and a lock nut permit them to be positioned freely.

Lots of different solutions to this problem. Good luck with yours.

Last edited: