Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting)

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #1  

lowepg

Tractor
Mahindra 1640HST
Its more often my bucket is attached, so I was thinking of adding some bolt on or weld on hooks for using China.

However, I also have pallet forks- and I guess I could also just wrap chains on those….

eh… any pros/cons I’m not considering?

(Mahindra 1640 if that matters for the feedback)

Last edited:
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #2  
I have one hook centered on the back of the top lip,, and use it frequently.

If you use the pallet forks 1) you have to get them out and attach; 2) you'll use more chain to wrap the forks, than you would to have the hook grab the chain. Not important ? You'll be amazed at how frequently you're at the end of the chain to just manage to get it into that hook; 3) if you use pallet forks, the weight of whatever you're hoisting will be further from the pins than if you use the hook; 4) you won't bang your head on the hook - not so with the forks. They'll get you sometime.
If you use the hook, be sure to get one large enough to accept the thickness of chain you'll be using (I use 1/4"), AT THE WELD POINT. If you fail to do that, when you slip the link into the hook, if you slip the weld in first, you'll have to hammer it out.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #3  
Chain grab hooks attach to the FEL bucket, not the FEL.
Two bolt on chain grab hooks from the premium supplier, Dan's Bolt On Hooks, cost around $30. SPLURGE.

However, I also have pallet forks- and I guess I could also just wrap chains on those….

"Wrapping" is not a good idea. However most chains used with tractors have a slip hook on one end and a chain grab hook on the other end. So you could use the chain slip hooks to create a tight, noose.

I cannot immediately think of a situation where Pallet Forks would not obviate the need for bucket chain grab hooks.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #4  
I had hooks welded on my bucket in-line with the SSQA attachment point for strength.
I use the hooks quite often.
I do wish I went with bolt on instead weld on.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #5  
It’s a pain to hook a chain back on itself and make it shorter than half its length. With a hook you can hook it anywhere. It’s worth the effort to mount one IMO.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #6  
It’s a pain to hook a chain back on itself and make it shorter than half its length. With a hook you can hook it anywhere. It’s worth the effort to mount one IMO.
On my bucket I have two slip hooks, one at either end, and a grip hook or whatever they are called in the center. They all get used. I am even thinking about adding a grip hook on each end to compliment the slip hooks, I just don't know where I would put them so that they don't interfere with the slip hooks.
Eric

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #7  
Hooks or chain slots on bucket are most useful thing I did to grab/hold/lift things...

bucket-jpg.684518

slots-3-jpg.684517

eyes-3-jpg.684516

The chain slots were just fabricated from some 2 X 2 X 1/4 inch angle iron... The shackle eye was from same angle iron just welded back to back...

Last edited:
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #8  
Hooks or chain slots on bucket are most useful thing I did to grab/hold/lift things...

bucket-jpg.684518

slots-3-jpg.684517

eyes-3-jpg.684516

The chain slots were just fabricated from some 2 X 2 X 1/4 inch angle iron... The shackle eye was from same angle iron just welded back to back...

I really like your chain slots. I might just use those instead of hooks at the ends of my bucket instead of the hooks I was planning to use.
Eric

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #9  
I had hooks welded on my bucket in-line with the SSQA attachment point for strength.
I use the hooks quite often.
I do wish I went with bolt on instead weld on.
I welded the hooks to a piece of angle iron as long as the bucket lip. Then I bolts the angle iron to the bucket lip. I worked great and strengthens the bucket lip.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #10  
I went with bolt on hooks and that works great for me.
FelHooks.jpeg

FelHooks1.jpeg

FelHooks2.jpeg