One step closer to zero emission power equipment

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
California moves toward ban on gas lawnmowers and leaf blowers California sales ban in 2024 for much of the OPE market. Battery trimmers, blowers, riders, walk behinds, ZTRs are here now. The generator aspect a larger learning curve? I'm still guessing that those manual grass scissors won't make a comeback....

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #2  
Petro gas generators are banned, BUT, the dual or tri-fuel generators are not. :)

Actually it's smart getting a generator to run on NG or LP, no different than an HVAC furnace or a NG or LP gas dryer.

The problem is, the demand is so high for these due to the mandate, that the NG and LP pries have soared higher than expected as we approach the cold months.

So, there is your learning curve in a nut shell for the state with all of the nuts in office. LOL

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #3  
California moves toward ban on gas lawnmowers and leaf blowers California sales ban in 2024 for much of the OPE market. Battery trimmers, blowers, riders, walk behinds, ZTRs are here now. The generator aspect a larger learning curve? I'm still guessing that those manual grass scissors won't make a comeback....

This isn't about zero emissions BTW, it's about FOLLOW DA MONEY. Who gains? Those that get taxes from the electric power (usually higher than petro) and those who supply electric.

A single solar panel and a Renology charge controller can change 6VDC, 12VDC and 24VDC Li batteries. This way, the setup will fully pay for itself in 1-year based on the CA prices for electrical grid power. All the following years would be FREE.

The Renology is the only cost effective 30A controller with AGM, basic car battery, RV/Marine battery, Li battery charging on the market. It also comes with USB ports to run and charge those devices too. :)

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #4  
The whole danged thing is just smoke and mirrors it is not reducing emissions a single bit,
it is relocating and redistributing them it is not reducing anything.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment
I think that some of this stuff is worth while. Handheld equipment especially. Service I think is sketchy, but generally isn't cost effective for mush of the handheld market anyways. Urban homeowner with a lawn that can be managed with a walk behind, great. I've seen a couple Ryobi ride ons and what ever that thing was that Lowes sold and recalled. Commercial folks will still use their gas and buy equipment over 25 HP where they can. I can't say that multi fuel gensets are any better or worse than they were before. Are they? I can see this working its way up the coast.

Last edited:
   / One step closer to zero emission power equipment #6  
The whole danged thing is just smoke and mirrors it is not reducing emissions a single bit,
it is relocating and redistributing them it is not reducing anything.

Its is reducing emissions. It's a lot easier to reduce emissions on X amount of power if it's made at a big plant than if it's generated at every house. Not only are large plants more efficient but the cost of the emissions gear is amortized over a lot of power. The power you get from the PoCo caused way fewer emissions than the same power coming from your home generator. That's not even including solar, of which there is a lot in CA.

Of course if the state would make PG&E actually maintain and update their equipment, there'd be way fewer outages and thus fewer home generators running. But our states' politicians haven't been able to do that for 40 years or more.

My concern is that the battery backup systems can't run for days on end, and even if PG&E maintained their lines properly we'd be getting outages that long. It's what happens when you're in steep mountains with big trees and lots of rain. The battery "generators" on the market now are no where near enough for that, and I don't think they will be by 2024. I also don't think that there will be big or even medium size battery chainsaws by then. They're pretty important unless you want to hire a $2500/day crew for every tree you need taken down, and don't make firewood. I don't think CARB is even aware people like us exist. I would not mind using battery everything if it worked for my needs but it doesn't yet.

I have a generator already, I can get another one before the deadline, and I can load up on good chainsaws. It'll be tough for newcomers who can't get that stuff because the rest of us won't be selling. Folks who have the money (and sunlight) for a solar and battery installation can do that but those aren't cheap....and if the power's out for days in a winter storm you're not going to get much solar power so you still need a generator.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #7  
Don't forget or ignore the pollution when those batteries are created and when disposed off.
Not to even start factoring in the finite amount of minerals to provide the raw material for those fancy new fangled batteries.

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #9  
Don't forget or ignore the pollution when those batteries are created and when disposed off.
Not to even start factoring in the finite amount of minerals to provide the raw material for those fancy new fangled batteries.
Out of the fire, and into the frying pan... It's what we do...

/ One step closer to zero emission power equipment #10  
Out of the fire, and into the frying pan... It's what we do...
See that's the problem with mandating. There are some really good battery operated power tools. Once they are mandatory, innovation will decline because people in power choose winners. Not saying they are financially benefitting from policies, but follow the money.