Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,051  
We used to have great electric public transport in many cities like NYC.
It was called a trolly, and they were put out of business by the car lobbies, and sometimes outright purchase and retire.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,052  
We used to have great electric public transport in many cities like NYC.
It was called a trolly, and they were put out of business by the car lobbies, and sometimes outright purchase and retire.
There was also the "trackess trolleys":

These were fairly common back in the late 50's through late 60's when I was growing up (suburb of Baltimore, MD). The advantage of these is no tracks required and the trolley could pull to the curb, rather than blocking traffic.
Cheap to ride, too!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,053  
People buying ICE vehicles are still subsidizing people buying Teslas, due to government imposed regulations that require ICE vehicle manufacturers to purchase emission "credits" from EV manufacturers.

Tesla just recently showed their first annual profit, and even that was enabled by the flow of money from ICE manufacturers. Tesla has yet to manage to build cars for less money than they sell them.
I really appreciate the subsidies the gummint pours into ICE infrastructure. If it were not for the $billions a year they spend on material and fuel subsidies, I would be stuck at home a lot more.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,054  
when i went to disney land. epcot, the exxon exhibit told me oil is from dinosaurs.

could both disney and exxon be lying to me?
Just simplifying for the dummies. For instance, the Permian Basin was laid down before dinosaurs evolved. Land animals at the time were amphibians and reptiles, but the oil was cooked from single celled ocean goo that was the bottom of the food chain at the time. Even more fossil fuels are from the Carboniferous era, the 60 million years before the Permian. Some of our deep natural gas may be remnants of the Earth's original methane atmosphere, before photosynthesis converted it to oxygen.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,055  
My number is 700 miles in extreme cold temps with the heater in the vehicle running while pulling just under CDL load. It needs to be better than ICE for me to make a move!
Welcome to the world of minority living. I'm sure people will still be able to hook up their 5th wheel travel trailer and tour America, and your wintertime hobbies will be able to use the same hardware.

I expect economics to be the big driver of change. I have seen the price of fuel increase 15x in the last 50 years, and if it increases another 15x it will make most ICE applications impractical. Projections are that EVs will also be cheaper to manufacture, though I suspect manufacturers will load unnecessary features onto the car that they can overcharge for.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,056  
Everybody says" public transportation is so great for the environment but the reason only the ignorant push for it is the math doesn't work. The cost per seat mile is enormous. Smart politicians have figured out that public transportation costs a lot for the few votes it will buy.

What’s the cost of maintaining the present road transportation system compared to the cost of a designed public transportation system?

It's not uncommon to see buses here outside of rush hour to be almost empty, with just a few people (sometime just one) in it. They are also big buses, even the articulated one.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,057  
a comment was made a while back that burning wood is carbon net zero because the tree had been capturing carbon it's entire life, just releasing what it had been saving.

can't the same logic be applied to oil and coal. coal is dead plant matter that had been saving carbon all its life and oil is dinosaurs which are also carbon life forms.
No because the "logic" is, "It is what we say it is. You are not allowed to question." Just as you are not allowed to question the evilness of CO2 which just so happens to be essential to their beloved ethanol production. See also: masks and vaccine mandates.

Same idiot logic claims there is no carbon emissions in ethanol because the carbon was previously captured by the growing of corn. But as you noted we live in a carbon cycle. Carbon in the atmosphere feeds plants. Plants make fuel, feed humans and other animals, which ultimately end up in the ground feeding plants.

Life on Earth can not exist without the carbon cycle.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,058  
It's not uncommon to see buses here outside of rush hour to be almost empty, with just a few people (sometime just one) in it. They are also big buses, even the articulated one.
The vast majority of busses in Colorado are empty most of the day.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,059  
There was also the "trackess trolleys":

These were fairly common back in the late 50's through late 60's when I was growing up (suburb of Baltimore, MD). The advantage of these is no tracks required and the trolley could pull to the curb, rather than blocking traffic.
Electric buses are widely used in San Francisco. I expect the regenerative braking downhill pushes power into the grid.

Now they are upgrading the whole transit fleet with electric hybrid buses that can also run from an onboard battery. These will still run when the overhead power fails or the pantograph loses connection, issues which cause traffic disruption when a bus loses power in an intersection or corner. Spend some time in SF and you will eventually see the driver of an old-school electric bus out with his pole reconnecting to the catenary.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,060  
Okay; so what would be the scenario with very much reduced roadway system‘s and a proper public transportation system that people would use to get about??

Status
Not open for further replies.