How to broadcast seed evenly

/ How to broadcast seed evenly #1  

Bigmuddyriver

Tractor
New Holland TC35D
I am in the process of seeding 7 acres of my property with wildflowers for polinators. I was planning on renting a broadcast seeder from a local seed store and am wondering how to make sure that I get the seed evenly spread. I have researched and found that the first pass over the field should only spread half of the seed. The second pass should run perpendicular to the first pass to spread the remainder of the seed. I'm not sure of the rate or width that I need to apply the seed but will be able to get that when I pick up the seed and spreader. This seed is very expensive and my greatest concern is that I will run out of seed before I get the field covered. I have heard that there are aps available for your phone that use the gps and guide you through the field. My neighbor has a gps on his tractor and used it to spray the field. I would rather not have to bother him to spread the seed and would like to do it myself. Sorry for the long post but any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ How to broadcast seed evenly #2  
I like this app and I think you should try it too:
Speedometer - Speed Limit Alert and Trip Cost Monitor
1635529618241.png

This is an app that I use. I do lots of fertilizer and herbicide applications on athletic fields and it works well for me.
I suggest you start with your spreader at a very low setting. Put a little seed in it and see how far you get until you run out.
if you cover the whole area, open it up some and cover it again. I will often cover a football field 3 or 4 times when spreading fertilizer.

/ How to broadcast seed evenly #3  
I've seen wildflower seed suppliers suggest mixing the seeds - some of which are very small - with sand:

HOW TO PLANT WILDFLOWERS​

Clear the area and work the soil as best you can before planting your seeds. Don't panic when some weeds sprout along with the flowers, this will happen when the soil is worked.

We recommend mixing your seeds with sand - 5 parts sand to 1 part seeds. This allows for a more even distribution and also provides a convenient way to mark which portions of the site have been seeded and which have not. For a smaller area, you can hand-broadcast the seeds. For larger areas, we recommend a seed spreader to create a better cast of the seeds.

After the seeds have been sown, lightly compress the seeds into the soil about 1/2" to protect from birds and wind.

ALL PERENNIAL WILDFLOWER SEED MIX

/ How to broadcast seed evenly #4  
Is the field already prepared? How are you going to cover seed once spread?
Might check and see if you can rent a drill. That would be the most accurate to plant and would get the best germination rate.
Local soil conservation service should have drills to rent and you usually just pay by the acre you used it.

/ How to broadcast seed evenly
Is the field already prepared? How are you going to cover seed once spread?
Might check and see if you can rent a drill. That would be the most accurate to plant and would get the best germination rate.
Local soil conservation service should have drills to rent and you usually just pay by the acre you used it.
Yes field is prepared. My conservation service says that a drill is OK but unnecessary. I plan to seed in December and they say that the freezing and thawing of the ground over winter is enough to get the seeds covered. I have a neighbor who has used this method and got great results. He also swears by planting by the signs which I intend to do.

View attachment 718815
This is an app that I use. I do lots of fertilizer and herbicide applications on athletic fields and it works well for me.
I suggest you start with your spreader at a very low setting. Put a little seed in it and see how far you get until you run out.
if you cover the whole area, open it up some and cover it again. I will often cover a football field 3 or 4 times when spreading fertilizer.
Wow that looks like a great ap. I'm going to get it and do a couple of test runs. OK if I contact you privately if i have questions?

/ How to broadcast seed evenly #8  
I have a 3 point spreader. There are so many ways to control it. How wide the gate is open, how high you have it, engine rpms(controls how far it’s thrown) and your ground speed. It just takes practice, which in your case might get expensive. I personally wouldn’t mess with an app. You should pay attention to what’s going not your phone.

/ How to broadcast seed evenly #9  
   / How to broadcast seed evenly #10  
View attachment 718815
That looks interesting, but when look at the app in Appl’s store it says it tracks your location even when not using the app.