Snow blower evolution

/ Snow blower evolution #21  
On blowers where the auger chain is exposed and runs in snow: Is this a problem. Do you have to oil the chain after every use? Grease?

The best thing you can do coby7 is use fluid film in the aerosol can or the wd-40 chain lubricant.

Has anyone seen Champ recently??

/ Snow blower evolution #22  
I use 80w90 gear oil on the blower chain for the augers. Seems to work the best out of everything I've tried.

/ Snow blower evolution
AH!!!, I bet it was an 8 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine with red paint and a Yardman brand snow blower with the Pelican emblem eh??

I do remember it was red, and had a cable system for rotation. Unlike the Schulte design, the drum and chute were one piece and rotated to discharge right or left.

I am not seeing the rotating drum?

I believe the Schulte's drum is a separate sleeve around the fan with an opening that can either launch snow radially (great for airports), or line up with the chute/deflector for more control.

Last edited:
   / Snow blower evolution #24  
Yup, Yard Man, if you let go they would travel for miles on their own in forward or reverse at one speed-fast.

The pronovost's TRX? model and and several other brands have the same design to make discharge of the heavy crap a shot gun affair to prevent plugging the chute.

/ Snow blower evolution #25  
I'd rather shovel and plow snow till I'm dead , than move to fla.:drink:

I always said I could always put on enough clothes to stay warm in Indiana in the winter, but could never take enough clothes off in Florida in the summer to stay cool, without getting arrested.

/ Snow blower evolution #26  
I always said I could always put on enough clothes to stay warm in Indiana in the winter, but could never take enough clothes off in Florida in the summer to stay cool, without getting arrested.

Florida in winter. I agree, I can’t be in Florida in summer.

MoKelly

/ Snow blower evolution
Being a fan of front-mounted, rear-pto-drive, this nearly new Erskine 721FM on Tractor House caught my eye as a good opportunity for somebody (not mine, no connection). This style machine solves the power and rotation direction questions. While these are bulky to store off-season, hookup is simple and quick. pics and vids here

Last edited:
   / Snow blower evolution #28  
The rear pto front blower struck my fancy after straining with a rear mount. Found an almost new Farm King 66 inch for a super price and went to work. I wanted a loader ssqa mounted blower as I still use the loader for deer feed. Took a bit of seat of the pants engineering but it works good so far

Attachments

• 11AE092F-F3C3-4A8C-A5A4-E2FDE47818A9.jpeg
    11AE092F-F3C3-4A8C-A5A4-E2FDE47818A9.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 261
  • 6DD3C801-90F2-494E-9081-F1166F60B92F.jpeg
    6DD3C801-90F2-494E-9081-F1166F60B92F.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 256
  • 93F17672-C249-4933-B7A4-6E8203A21FC5.jpeg
    93F17672-C249-4933-B7A4-6E8203A21FC5.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 250
   / Snow blower evolution
Your rear drive is a cool project - I found your 2020 post. Its a good variation on the Erskine, since it accommodates lots of regular rear blowers.

Maybe add some check chains and blockers on the loader to limit range? I remember needing to design my drag blade so the hydraulics couldn't tear it up. I'm sure you've thought of something.

Take care, Dick B

Last edited:
   / Snow blower evolution #30  
Picked up an old 72" v-type pull behind a couple months ago and looks like the one rbargeron had. the name plate reads "Snow Machine Industries" from South Dakota. I picked up some #2 3"x1/2" nut and bolts to use as a shear pin to replace a full pin that was being used. To the OP, do you recall what you used? I am using it on a J/D 990 with a 35 hp Rated pto. Local J/D dealer cannot tell me what is needed to protect my tractor if I pick up a rock or something. I was thinking maybe use a slip clutch set up.