Tractor Shortages

/ Tractor Shortages #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I just ran into some shortages getting parts for our old John Deere, and like a lot of us, it got me to wondering where this is going to lead.
Right now the shortages are novel, but becoming more of a problem every day. That makes now a good time to discuss things.

Some might say politics was a cause, but I think that was minor. Historically, the world has always had diverse politics and decent trade going along at the same time in spite of each other.

In my mind the big trigger for the shortages was the worldwide pandemic. It took a pandemic to show us just how fragile world's modern manufacturing and distribution system really is.

Right now I'm wondering if this really is just a problem just for a few years and then back to normal..... or will the shortages create a whole different world? And what would a different world trade look like for tractor owners?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Tractor Shortages #2  
Well, in the west quick profit is the short game, no other matter is given any thought, no social responsibility, no wish to be an positive member of society and we let them do it. China and other countries plays the long game, a game we don't understand or even sense, I do think some of the problems we now facing might be a move in this long game. Hopefully we will respond with understanding that deindustrialization is one very dangerous strategy, we looses jobs and fare more important is that we looses knowledge which make us weak and easy to control by others.

/ Tractor Shortages #3  
Never waste a good crisis! Politics, greed and a shift from made in America to assembled in America from foreign parts. Not sure what a companies incentive would be to cut the cost, they've had a taste of the extra money and they'll come up with many reasons why they can't drop the prices. People get used to the increase and accept it.

/ Tractor Shortages #4  
Awaken to the new normal

/ Tractor Shortages #5  
I just ran into some shortages getting parts for our old John Deere, and like a lot of us, it got me to wondering where this is going to lead.
Right now the shortages are novel, but becoming more of a problem every day. That makes now a good time to discuss things.

Some might say politics was a cause, but I think that was minor. Historically, the world has always had diverse politics and decent trade going along at the same time in spite of each other.

In my mind the big trigger for the shortages was the worldwide pandemic. It took a pandemic to show us just how fragile world's modern manufacturing and distribution system really is.

Right now I'm wondering if this really is just a problem just for a few years and then back to normal..... or will the shortages create a whole different world? And what would a different world trade look like for tractor owners?
rScotty

Too much dependency on foreign made products.
If we return to making more here, it wouldn’t be as bad.

/ Tractor Shortages #6  
I don't think it will ever go back to normal. They keep creating new "variants" of the virus every week and want you to get vaccine after vaccine.
And now NO ONE seems to want to work any more. They all get their perceived "free money" from the government and the rest of us that do work daily are facing even higher payroll deductions come the new year to pay for them.

/ Tractor Shortages #7  

rScotty
Can't really give an honest opinion without getting a "timeout". Yes, the world has always had diverse politics but things have changed dramatically in the past 5 years or so. People are no longer allowed to have frank and open discussions anymore. If you say something that is not part of the official narrative you lose your speaking privileges. This is what America has become and even this simple, honest statement will likely be removed and my account locked. But yes, I agree with you that the pandemic has been used to create a whole new world.

/ Tractor Shortages #8  
We are all looking at tougher times ahead. I think the economy has been changed forever and is only going to get worse.
Just look at all the things these new governments and the people that voted for them are trying to do.

No more combustion engines, no more fuels, no more cattle or real meat, more taxes, higher food costs. Heck they are so awesome they are even going to change the climate cycle by charging you more tax! LOL

One that really makes me laugh is every time I hear on the news about the supply change shortages being partly caused by the shortage of truckers.
There is no shortage of truckers, just a shortage becuase of truckers that have got out of the industry (like I have after being a driver and an owner for 37 years) because nobody wants to pay, over regulation to the point you are treated like a criminal, and all the "new" drivers they are importing that are making a trip down the highway a suicide mission now.

/ Tractor Shortages #9  
Look at all the cargo ships from China waiting to unload.
So we wait for other countries to spoon feed us what we need. Such a sad state of affairs.
Some live in areas of the country where things are going pretty well. For those of us in the rust belt watching our industrial plants closing (if there are any left) or being bought by foreign countries, it’s tough to watch.

Our chickens are coming home, to roost.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Shortages #10  
Here in Upstate NY i am stunned by the lack of inventory at the local Ford dealerships, and Deere. Other brands are nominally better stocked (kubota best of all). Geopolitics are wildly complex so I won't wade into that swamp, but please consider that state side car manufacturing (union and non union) have been impacted by offshore parts supply too - in this case chips and some specialty (magnesium I hear) and other commodities. In this region there are new chip fab plants being built, so I am hopeful we can start to grow some stateside competency in tech jobs. But for reasons I don't understand, as a country we walked away from that industry (remember the texas and CA tech hubs of the 80s?). It has been a long time since I have seen an electronic or computer product made in North America. Anyhow, I can't say I blame these suppliers. If you can restrict the supply of your widget and get 3x the price...isn't that free market capitalism?