Shear Bolts??

/ Shear Bolts?? #11  
Ten mm diameter (a shade over 3/8") sounds large to me; my snowblowers spec 6mm and 1/4". A 6mm diameter hex bolt takes a 10mm wrench; a 10 mm diameter takes a 17mm wrench. I would measure one of your spares (or the original if you still have it) before ordering.

/ Shear Bolts?? #12  
Buy some metric bolts that will fit at your local Harbor Freight. Guarantee they will be Chinesium quality if they're like Princess Auto here.

/ Shear Bolts??
Thank you for all the responses. I heard back from the dealer. They confirmed that a grade 5 bolt found at any hardware store will work just fine. Thats good to know.

And yes, it is 10mm by about 2 inches. Its on a PTO shaft for a 7ft wide blower.

/ Shear Bolts?? #16  
Ruffdog inquired about a linked e-bay offering.

Likely Chineesium, ungraded, no locknut. I had checked Bolt Depots pages to confirm the distance across the flats before posting #11. FWIW Bolt Depot prices for M10-1.5 x 55 mm grade 8.8 hex bolts. I have no affiliation with Bolt Depot except as a satisfied customer.

Prod. #LengthEach priceBag priceBulk price
624455mm$0.73 / ea$25.84 / 50$220.00 / 500
Metric hex nylon insert lock nuts, Zinc plated class 8.8 steel, 10mm x 1.5mm

$0.22 / ea

$12.40 / 100$102.00 / 1000

/ Shear Bolts?? #17  
Mine seem to measure 5/16 x 2” and take either a 13mm or 1/2 inch wrench. There is some markings on the head of the bolts that looks like maybe YLZ 68 but I’m not sure what that’s supposed to mean , since my blower was built in Canada I’m guessing the shear pin is metric with self locking nut. since the blower is one year old never sheared a pin and came with 5 spare pins I most likely won’t be rushing out to buy more.

Last edited:
   / Shear Bolts?? #18  
^^5/16 is VERY close to the same diameter as 8mm.

/ Shear Bolts?? #20  
. . . There is some markings on the head of the bolts that looks like maybe YLZ 68 but I’m not sure what that’s supposed to mean . . .

SAE or inch bolts have hash marks to indicate grade; metric bolts have arabic numerals to indicate class. A web search will turn up charts of the various markings and the equivalence of grade and class. As I understand it, the alpha-numeric characters on bolt heads are a code so the manufacturers, distributors, vendors, and others who are privy to the codes (like the check-out clerk at a box store) can identify the bolts without calipers and thread gauges.