/ FROZEN MANURE ON BUCKETS #1  

patti24

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford- New Holland CM224
Hi! Does anybody have any tips, techniques, or ideas on how to keep horse manure from freezing to the bucket on a backhoe? Wicked hard to chop it out if it gets frozen….(and it usually happens EXACTLY when you need the backhoe for something else, right!?!?)
😉😂
I’ve tried putting a layer of straw down…but doesn’t make any difference - especially if we get free/thaw cycles (which they are predicting this year🤦‍♀️).
There’s some recipes I’ve seen to stop windshields from icing up that include Dawn dish soap, rubbing alcohol and some other ingredients, but I have my doubts that would work on a metal bucket with freezing & thawing material sitting on top of it!
I saw an article from 2014 in the Farm Show magazine about a guy who makes custom bucket liners out of a certain plastic with specialized seam sealing and attachment to the bucket.
But the price was special too- about $6000!😮 I’ve just sent him a message- maybe his prices have come down since then. 🤷‍♀️
But if anybody has come up with a creative way to deal with this issue, I’d love to hear your feedback!
Thanks! 😊patti

/ FROZEN MANURE ON BUCKETS
Hi! Does anybody have any tips on how to keep horse manure from freezing to a bucket on a backhoe? Wicked hard to chop out if it gets frozen….(and it usually happens EXACTLY when you need the backhoe for something else, right!?!?)
😉😂
I’ve tried putting a layer of straw down…but doesn’t make any difference - especially if we get free/thaw cycles (which they are predicting this year🤦‍♀️).
There’s some recipes I’ve seen to stop windshields from icing up that include Dawn dish soap, rubbing alcohol and some other ingredients, but I have my doubts that would work on a metal bucket with freezing & thawing material sitting on top of it!
I saw an article from 2014 in the Farm Show magazine about a guy who makes custom bucket liners out of a certain plastic with specialized seam sealing and attachment to the bucket.
But the price was special too- about $6000!😮 I’ve just sent him a message- maybe his prices have come down since then. 🤷‍♀️
But if anybody has come up with a creative way to deal with this issue, I’d love to hear your feedback!
Thanks! 😊patti

Hi! Does anybody have any tips, techniques, or ideas on how to keep horse manure from freezing to a bucket on a backhoe? Wicked hard to chop out if it gets frozen….(and it usually happens EXACTLY when you need the backhoe for something else, right!?!?)
😉😂
Thanks! 😊patti

Hi! Does anybody have any tips, techniques, or ideas on how to keep horse manure from freezing to a bucket on a backhoe? Wicked hard to chop out if it gets frozen….(and it usually happens EXACTLY when you need the backhoe for something else, right!?!?)
😉
😂

I’ve tried putting a layer of straw down…but doesn’t make any difference - especially if we get free/thaw cycles (which they are predicting this year
🤦‍♀️
).
But the price was special too- about $6000!
😮
I’ve just sent him a message- maybe his prices have come down since then.
🤷‍♀️

Thanks!
😊
patti

/ FROZEN MANURE ON BUCKETS #5  
We always kept dairy cow manure from freezing on the sides of the spreader by scraping it down after the load was off. If it was well below zero out we cleaned it between loads. Good times.

/ FROZEN MANURE ON BUCKETS #6  
I am not in the severe temperature zone you are in. Sometimes it is snowing and freezing but not much. I take the time to hose out or scrape my bucket when done. A clean bucket is a happy bucket! I take the time, makes my next barn cleaning or rock hauling easier.

/ FROZEN MANURE ON BUCKETS #7  
If your using it, mix up some liquid manure/molasses/beets juice and put it in a sprayer. Or feed it through a heated pressure washer. Same as they do for roads.

If your not using it you can always spray with oil frequently.

If it's just while sitting, a tarp and magnetic heat pad could be used as well or a heated horse trough.

/ FROZEN MANURE ON BUCKETS #10  
Clean when finished, set in sun, pallet under bucket.