Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
   / Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #2  
BTW: More, better pictures on other news sources. I wouldn't have put a jet ski on that trailer, tires were beyond worn & underinflated. Poor guy didn't have a driver's license. How do you figure it now ?

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #3  
BTW: More, better pictures on other news sources. I wouldn't have put a jet ski on that trailer, tires were beyond worn & underinflated. Poor guy didn't have a driver's license. How do you figure it now ?
Lots of US citizens aren’t model citizens. Guy sounds like a loser, but that doesn’t make him a non-citizen.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.
I'm wondering if the trailer brake system is non functioning and that led to his crash. I understand the truck is grossly under sized, but I also know that with my 14k equipment trailer, dump trailer and 7k utility trailer...I can skid the tires with a load on. My truck doesn't barely need brakes, I can manually stop the entire rig with the trailer brakes if I needed to.

If he had a 37k boat and 6k trailer shoving him down a hill with no trailer brakes on those 5 trailer axles.... he didn't stand a chance.

That said, hooking a 21k rated truck to a 37k boat (plus whatever the trailer weighs) is suicide.... or murder. We all push limits a bit, maybe overload a bit... but that's crazy level.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #5  
That doesn't look like a 37k lb boat to me.

Here's a 35k lb boat

Journalism continues to live up to its usual high standards

528238_451314364939116_1736121483_n-1b7e8870f6c5267e9ea4661baf5be609.jpg

It's powered by two 8.3 QSC Cummins --

Last edited:
   / Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.
This is from a News4 article.

Gonzalez-Otazo is being held at the Carson City jail on more than 20 charges including:

Felony reckless driving

No valid driver's license

Unsafe vehicle

Obstruction of justice

Failure to obey traffic light

Fail to obey traffic device

No record of duty status

Motor carrier permit required

No medical certificate

Operating a CMV without a CDL

Driver must be able to understand traffic signals

No fuel tax permit

IRO apportioned tag/reg violation

No USDOT/carrier name displayed

Inoperative/defective Brakes

Inspection repair and maintenance (2 counts)

Wheel fasteners loose and missing (2 counts)

Required brakes missing on trailer

Loose or unfastened tiedown

Damaged vehicle structures and pressure points

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #7  
I don't see "Overloaded" on that list.

And I know persecutors, they'd charge him with spitting on the sidewalk if they thought they could get away with it

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #8  
I also wonder about the true weight of the boat. This same story was tossed around on the other thread. I was thinking there were no trailer brakes??

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #9  
From another article about his bail:

“…(judge) Luis said he could not justify reducing the bond to the $ 20,000 bond requested by the defendant’s attorney, Michael Castillo. Bail was set at $ 100,000.

“I don’t know what ties him here,” he said. “He has no family, no family ties to northern Nevada.”

Assistant District Attorney Jeremy Reichenberger objected to lowering the bail. He said the court has no real way to guarantee that the defendant stays and appears in court.

“He is not from here, he has no family here, he has no plans to reside in this area,” Reichenberger said.

He also said that there is no way to prevent him from leaving the country, so it is impossible to hold him responsible for what he did.

Luis made it clear that she agrees and said that (he) has only been in the US since 2019, that (he) does not have a valid license, that (he) essentially lied to officers investigating the accident, and that (he) has no work history.

“I have a real struggle believing that there are conditions that I can establish to ensure that Mr. González-Otazo appears,” Luis said.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #10  
That doesn't look like a 37k lb boat to me.

Here's a 35k lb boat

Journalism continues to live up to its usual high standards

528238_451314364939116_1736121483_n-1b7e8870f6c5267e9ea4661baf5be609.jpg

It's powered by two 8.3 QSC Cummins --
That boat looks smaller than the one in the accident.

From the article:
"According to the Nevada Highway Patrol’s preliminary investigation, the pickup was overloaded by eight tons.

The Ford is rated at a maximum towing weight of 21,000, well below the weight of the yacht, which weighed in at 37,000 pounds.
"

That's from the highway patrol, not the reporter.