Ceramic coating treatment

/ Ceramic coating treatment #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Has anyone had this done to their vehicle? Supposedly lasts the life of the vehicle and also gets recorded on the Carfax. My work truck lives a life with lots of grime and scratches (Texas pin striping). I'm wondering if this might be worthwhile to have done. I've seen some kits where you can do it yourself, but I don't have time for that. I'd rather drop it off somewhere and let them do it, if it's worthwhile.

Any experiences or feedback?

/ Ceramic coating treatment #2  
Does this post mean that you are back from Spain?

/ Ceramic coating treatment #3  
I had mine done this summer, (CAN$1500 for Ceramic Pro) initially I was impressed. The water beaded off, looked awesome but after a few months, not so much impressed.
In bright sun, there are swirls galore, they're not swirls like was in my truck initially which were fine swirls/micro scratches in the clearcoat (the applicator buffed them out and did a good job) but more like smears for lack of a better description, like you had wiped the truck with an oily rag and then tried to clean it off.
I wash the truck when it's dull out so no direct sunlight and dry it immediately with a proper drying cloth, supersoft and fluffy. Used Dawn dish wash detergent as was suggested by the applicator.
It could be because of hard water but I'm doubtful as I dry it off immediately so it should have no impact. I've even tried numerous types of sprays when I dry it, having the best success with Turtle Wax Ice.
My truck is dark forest green metallic and looks black until the sun hits it the right way and then it's green so the smears stand out something terrible. The water still beads up, the majority of dirt sprays off fine at the car wash so there is a bit of benefit.
One thing I will say, the windshield coating is fantastic, hardly ever use my wipers. I recently had to replace my windshield and didn't get it recoated right away, what a pain driving in the rain.
In hind sight, I would have buffed the micro scratches out my self and gave it a good wax but I was looking for something permanent......Mike

/ Ceramic coating treatment
Does this post mean that you are back from Spain?
Yes. We REALLY loved Spain. Probably our favorite place to relax so far. The people are happy, the food is terrific and the sites were great. It looks like we made our trip just in time, before things start to shut down with the latest Covid variant. I'll send you an email on the details.

/ Ceramic coating treatment #5  
I’m a car person and a lot of car people seem to love it. Is it because the pay a lot to get it done? I know a perfect finish is needed or the coating just highlights imperfections.

My personal opinion is it’s mostly hype, the latest greatest thing like nitrogen in your tires. I tend to think it’s a high quality product just expensive to get it applied.

/ Ceramic coating treatment #6  
I tend to think it’s a high quality product just expensive to get it applied.
I do believe you're right.
I was told the product, though expensive, is not the main cost. According to what the applicator told me, it's the labour that has to be done before as well as during application. Makes sense, if you don't remove all the micro scratches, which he did, all you're going to do is end up with shiny, protected, accentuated scratches...........Mike

/ Ceramic coating treatment #7  
I had mine done this summer, (CAN$1500 for Ceramic Pro) initially I was impressed. The water beaded off, looked awesome but after a few months, not so much impressed.
In bright sun, there are swirls galore, they're not swirls like was in my truck initially which were fine swirls/micro scratches in the clearcoat (the applicator buffed them out and did a good job) but more like smears for lack of a better description, like you had wiped the truck with an oily rag and then tried to clean it off.
I wash the truck when it's dull out so no direct sunlight and dry it immediately with a proper drying cloth, supersoft and fluffy. Used Dawn dish wash detergent as was suggested by the applicator.
It could be because of hard water but I'm doubtful as I dry it off immediately so it should have no impact. I've even tried numerous types of sprays when I dry it, having the best success with Turtle Wax Ice.
My truck is dark forest green metallic and looks black until the sun hits it the right way and then it's green so the smears stand out something terrible. The water still beads up, the majority of dirt sprays off fine at the car wash so there is a bit of benefit.
One thing I will say, the windshield coating is fantastic, hardly ever use my wipers. I recently had to replace my windshield and didn't get it recoated right away, what a pain driving in the rain.
In hind sight, I would have buffed the micro scratches out my self and gave it a good wax but I was looking for something permanent......Mike

I’m surprised by the recommendation to use Dawn, that’s what I (and a lot of others) use to strip wax and polishes from vehicles.

Dark vehicles are harder, from your description it sounds like the product removal, after it “flashes” may have been laxidasical.

I did all 3 of my families DDs last year. I use Adams Graphene because it’s usable on trim/glass/lights etc.

They only get hand washed and dried with ceramic detail spray for maintenance. They are just as “slick” a year later.

/ Ceramic coating treatment #8  
Years ago I used a product called Ceram-Kote (I believe) on A severely blistered fiberglass hull of a boat it was a lot of prep work that I did myself and was a two part ceramic epoxy. unfortunately the boat ran aground during a storm on a sandy beach, it destroyed a lot of the gelcoat but the parts of the boat below the waterline that were covered in the ceramic epoxy were mostly undamaged so from personal experience I can confidently say ceramic coatings are very durable and worth the cost In my opinion especially if the prep work is done correctly.

/ Ceramic coating treatment #9  
.........from your description it sounds like the product removal, after it “flashes” may have been laxidasical
Don't think as it looked great right after. I've had other work done there for different work vehicles, (when I was working) and their work was top notch.

...............dried with ceramic detail spray
I used a product like that at first, Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Detailer. I actually wrote them and that was their recommendation for a ceramic coating maintenance product but that was one of the smearier (sp) products. As I said, I've had better luck with TW ICE..........Mike

/ Ceramic coating treatment #10  
Don't think as it looked great right after. I've had other work done there for different work vehicles, (when I was working) and their work was top notch.

I used a product like that at first, Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Detailer. I actually wrote them and that was their recommendation for a ceramic coating maintenance product but that was one of the smearier (sp) products. As I said, I've had better luck with TW ICE..........Mike

Didn’t mean to throw shade at their work, that makes sense that your drying agent was causing the streaks/smears. If the Tw does it without then good, may have to trial and error a few more.