How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I want to purple paint some trees on my property line but no idea how to do it really accurately. I don't want to paint new neighbors' trees.
I had it surveyed and know where the stakes are. What is in between is the issue. It is steep and dense. Hilltop on both ends.

I have onXhunt phone app but don't totally trust it. It seems to be more accurate as I move around but it was 26' off the first stake when I first went looking for it.

Hoping others here can help. thanks.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #2  
String line between corners.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #3  
Use a transit with compass. Set the compass to the bearing on your land survey plat map. Sight down the transit to landmarks at that bearing, moving from one landmark to another as you travel down the line. Hang plastic flagging or set pin flags to mark the line as you go.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #4  
Everone should be lucky enough to own a parcel so large they don't know where it start's and ends. 🤠

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #5  
Everone should be lucky enough to own a parcel so large they don't know where it start's and ends. 🤠
Knowing the corners is easy (start and end). Projecting a straight line between corners for fencing or other purposes isn’t so easy if you can’t see from one corner to the next.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #6  
I’d probably concede a few yards and paint trees inside your property line if the trees are that dense.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #7  
If it is a straight line, just walking with a GPS in the pedestrian mode with the travel history turned on will get you within a few feet. May have to readjust your walk from point a to point b a few times.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #8  
Start at a survey mark and use a good compass to sight along the line. Spot a landmark tree on the line and walk to it, repeat as needed.

I had some property previously where the above method seemed to take me in the wrong direction. It didn't, the previous owner didn't know where the corners were and short cut himself by a couple of hundred feet. My compass led me down the line and I found the survey pin .

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #9  
Are you on speaking terms with your new neighbor? Have him/her come along as you walk with GPS in hand. Unless you both intend on arguing with what the GPS displays, mark the trees. Since you both did it together, neither of you should have to worry about where the property line is. It worked for me. :)

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #10  
Are you on speaking terms with your new neighbor? Have him/her come along as you walk with GPS in hand. Unless you both intend on arguing with what the GPS displays, mark the trees. Since you both did it together, neither of you should have to worry about where the property line is. It worked for me. :)
If you both agree on ownership of marked trees, it works. But GPS units are typically +-15-30 feet.