What causes this pine tree problem?

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #32  
Those insect trails are probably made by the pine sawyer beetle. I see those frass markings often. If you rip off more bark, they could still be at work just under cover.

The tree would have been stressed by some other cause before they came in to feed. I cannot see any evidence indicating the original cause of distress but I like the ideas mentioned here about looking for similar damage in other trees, inspected the sawn wood and getting your county forester in to inspect.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #34  
It is Pin beetles. When the trees are alive one can see sap coming out of the holes the beetles make and if one listens closely the noise the beetles make is audible. On the picture you posted one can see the sawdust the beetles made when boring into the tree. Back in the day we used to use chlordane (it is no longer sold in the US) to try to stop the beetles form getting into other pines.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #35  
Out marking trees for removal and saw this. Anyone know what it is?
It looks like termites or ant trails to me.

After having had 40 pines trees removed I would never recommend planting them as some have suggested. They are a nuisance tree. They cannot be used for firewood. they will not let grass grow and their pine needles are a pain to deal with. Spring time pollen is unreal.

RA

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #36  
It is Pin beetles. When the trees are alive one can see sap coming out of the holes the beetles make and if one listens closely the noise the beetles make is audible. On the picture you posted one can see the sawdust the beetles made when boring into the tree. Back in the day we used to use chlordane (it is no longer sold in the US) to try to stop the beetles form getting into other pines.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #37  
If I had known this, I would have had them to get rid on my pines... :)

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #38  
Out marking trees for removal and saw this. Anyone know what it is?
It looks like a standing dead tree that has died off quite a few years ago and the bugs have been feeding for a long time.
I am not a forester but I do have lots of dead trees on my land that are still standing and that is what I see. I have a 59 acre wood lot that I play in with my tractor and my 1946 Jeep.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #39  
I had the same thing on a few hemlocks, pileated wood peckers were all over it, tearing off the bark to get the beetles.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #40  
It might be antler rubs from a rutting buck...

KC
My first thought and also bears like to scratch to leave their scent (not that its hard to smell) at human eye height. Should see tracks from deer and/or bear. Hope its not beetles. Look at the top of the tree and see if there's any dead spots at the top.