What causes this pine tree problem?

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #72  
This is the pine bark beetle, which are usually attracted to stressed trees, mainly from droughts. If you had a period of drought, the tree stresses and the pine bark beetle can smell it. They drill small holes into the bark and chow on the outer cambium. Once you notice the small holes, it's over. The pic you posted is a year+ of death.

If you're going to experience drought, watering the tree if possible is the solution. You can also spray around the based of the tree up as high as you can go to prevent burrowing. "There are currently 3 insecticides registered for control of bark beetles on southern pines. These are lindane, chlorpyrifos (Dursban 4E) and fenitrothion (Sumithion 8E) . Landowners may purchase lindane for their own use without an applicator's license."

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #73  
got 4 here by the road dying----a friend says its from some bacteria they picked up out of the soil. I have no idea. I planted a couple more 20 feet away from the dying ones and they too are showing signs just like the big guys! -- Well come hell or high water,--- I am going to have evergreens down by the road so I went into sis's timber an dug up a bunch of cedar trees and they are growing like weeds! so we are getting a cedar screen in place of the pines.
I thought pine beetles too but cant find any on these trees.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #74  
got 4 here by the road dying----a friend says its from some bacteria they picked up out of the soil. I have no idea. I planted a couple more 20 feet away from the dying ones and they too are showing signs just like the big guys! -- Well come hell or high water,--- I am going to have evergreens down by the road so I went into sis's timber an dug up a bunch of cedar trees and they are growing like weeds! so we are getting a cedar screen in place of the pines.
I thought pine beetles too but cant find any on these trees.
Interesting point about the bacteria. I am having trouble with a lot of trees dying- both evergreen- Pine & Spruce and deciduous- mainly my Apple trees. They die from the bottom up, and usually are covered with something that looks like moss/mold/fungus/algae (no one has been able to identify it🙄) My property was hit with a massive flood in 2017, and things have been going downhill since then. Even my cedar fence posts have this and are rotting! And interestingly enough, my horses- who have never had thrush in their lives- both had it in all 4 hooves. It took me over a year of trying every kind of product imaginable to get it ‘under control’, but I am constantly fighting it. My farrier knows how I look after their feet, so we have come to the conclusion that in the INCHES of clay that was left behind when the river receded, there was some kind of bacteria/fungus/virus whatever that remained in the soil. 🤦‍♀️
One other possible cause of the pine trees dying could be a shrub called ‘Russian Black Currant.’ Apparently they contain something that adversely affects pine trees and kills them. ??? I have one of these black currant bushes about 100’ away from some of my pines, so that may be causing some issues. 🤷‍♀️ Doesn’t matter to me though, because these big 40 or 50 footers are coming down VERY soon!!
Pools, decks & pine needles don’t mix!! (But I AM reclaiming the wood and using it inside my 1857 log cabin 😊)
Patti

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #75  
There's an anti-fungal product w the active ingredient called propiconazole. this mixed into the soil at proper dilution rates will definitely kill any fungus. Via macro-injections, you can also treat a tree, but it needs be done proactively.

Sorry about your pines...and cedar are like weeds and nothing kills them but droughts

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #76  
There's an anti-fungal product w the active ingredient called propiconazole. this mixed into the soil at proper dilution rates will definitely kill any fungus. Via macro-injections, you can also treat a tree, but it needs be done proactively.

Sorry about your pines...and cedar are like weeds and nothing kills them but droughts
Thank you!! I’ll get some of that this week! Could I use it at the base of my Apple trees as well? What about spraying trunks & limbs of all the trees that have this fungus, (or whatever it is) that is making the bark fall off? Will it work with topical application? Thanks for your help! Patti

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #77  
Here’s the product that i used for macro & micro injections as well as topical /foliar grass spray

Call the manufacturer and tell them of your specific issues w as much detail as possible as if Kestrel will work or not.

I would also call your county extension agent too.

If this truly is a fungus, you could buy a small amt and test it.

Finally, in any tree application, once a tree is in a lot of stress, post stress remedies are much harder to treat than prior to any pathogen attacking it’s host. It’s much like cancer, early detection is the key, but w trees sometimes that’s really difficult. Therefore, proactive measures to preclude a pathogen is very critical. Just see what the manufacturer states after you provide your detail, then post back.

Good luck

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #78  
Here’s the product that i used for macro & micro injections as well as topical /foliar grass spray

Call the manufacturer and tell them of your specific issues w as much detail as possible as if Kestrel will work or not.

I would also call your county extension agent too.

If this truly is a fungus, you could buy a small amt and test it.

Finally, in any tree application, once a tree is in a lot of stress, post stress remedies are much harder to treat than prior to any pathogen attacking it’s host. It’s much like cancer, early detection is the key, but w trees sometimes that’s really difficult. Therefore, proactive measures to preclude a pathogen is very critical. Just see what the manufacturer states after you provide your detail, then post back.

Good luck

Thanks for all that detailed information!! I’ll give it a try- probably not until Fall- don’t have the time at the moment! Thanks again!!
Patti