Yanmar or Kukje?

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #11  
"We must unite to eradicate these spiteful and insidious computer-control mandates!" btw, a sickle was good enough for my Grandfather, it's good enough for me.

A good running Ford 8N with a 3PT PTO driven sickle works so well for pasture grasses over those expensive cutters today. Neither pieces of machinery need a computer chip to do the job.

1638903353786.png

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #12  
My sickle might could use an 8N but even with its low seat I still pro'ly couldn't reach down far enough to use it.

btw, who want's to depend on a tractor if there could be another fuel shortage? Horses were good enough for my Grandfather, they're good enough for me. :)

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #13  
Diesels are built both ways, with "direct" injection, AND with "indirect" injection...

As I said earlier, neither has anything to do with common rail!

I prefer indirect, but EPA doesn't like them without common rail though, because of emission standards...

SR

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #14  
I went surfing. Direct and indirect injection diesels both use the pop off type injectors where each is fed separately by the injection pump. Timing and duration are mechanically controlled. There are pros and cons to direct versus indirect injection. Common rail generally runs at a higher pressure and all injectors have full pressure fuel available to them at all times. A control unit reads various engine parameters to decide when each injector opens and for how long. An individual injector may open three to seven times during a given cycle. Common rail is more complicated than the mechanical method but in many cases is required to meet EPA rules.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #15  
Looking at TYM and in the sizes I need, they have essentially the same tractors but with different engines. The Yanmar is common rail, the Kukje is indirect injection. What do I need to know?

Here is a short article that talks about the difference in unbiased terms.
In general, common rail motors will be direct injection and have computers to control the electronic injection. They are more modern.
Mechanically injected motors will generally be indirect injection and are the old reliable simple diesels for many decades.

Yes, there are exceptions. Injection geometry isn't everything.

Both can have emissions control systems - which get more complex as the hp goes up. Under 25 hp the systems can be simple.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar or Kukje? #16  
Diesels are built both ways, with "direct" injection, AND with "indirect" injection...

As I said earlier, neither has anything to do with common rail!

I prefer indirect, but EPA doesn't like them without common rail though, because of emission standards...

SR
Is it possible to have a common rail and Indirect injection. I can't think of one engine in that category, but I'm curious if there is.

/ Yanmar or Kukje?
Do a network search. Diesels are direct injection. Common rail is a newer technology and generally more fuel efficient. It is normally computer controlled and can adapt more quickly to changing conditions. It also tends to run cleaner.
The Kukje available on the TYM 4 series tractors are indirect. The Yanmar in the same sizes are Common Rail Direct Injection.

One of the reasons I am asking the questions is that the dealer I worked with this past weekend said he will not even order the Yanmar equipped versions. The gear transmission on the Kukje is 8x8 SS, the Yanmar versions are 16 x 16 SS. They do have HST. I have always heard Yanmar engines were good, I'm not sure why he would avoid them. I don't know enough about either to know if I even care.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #19  
The Kukje available on the TYM 4 series tractors are indirect. The Yanmar in the same sizes are Common Rail Direct Injection.

One of the reasons I am asking the questions is that the dealer I worked with this past weekend said he will not even order the Yanmar equipped versions. The gear transmission on the Kukje is 8x8 SS, the Yanmar versions are 16 x 16 SS. They do have HST. I have always heard Yanmar engines were good, I'm not sure why he would avoid them. I don't know enough about either to know if I even care.
No Branson dealer nearby? They offer a 16x16 fully synchronized transmission on the 20 series. Shuttle, main gears and also the range gears, all synchronized, which is a great feature.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #20  
The Kukje diesel engines offered in both TYM and Branson tractors are simply an A-series Cummins.
AND the A series Cummins is simple an Onan designed/built diesel engine, that is now called "Cummins" because Cummins bought Onan.

Then Cummins licensed Kukje to build the Onan design.

SR