Yanmar or Kukje?

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #31  
"If Kukje is no longer licensed to use Cummins pattern what's in 'em?"

Licensing pertained to Century using the Cummins badge on the tractor. Not what parts are used in the engine.

The A series comes in 3 and 4 cylinder configurations. I don't know the numbers but I suspect there are hundreds of thousands if not more in use world wide. They are found in tractors, forklifts and other machinery needing a small diesel engine. It would make no sense to have different internals whether labeled Cummins or Kukje. It would only complicate support. The individual engines have to be configured to fit the application. Bolt on externals such as alternators, waterpumps, exhaust systems ECT. vary between applications.

Century was just another brand created to sell in the US and they used Kukje, Yanmar and Mitsubishi engines. The engine deal was just between Kukje/Branson and Cummins, which resulted in some Branson models fitted with a Cummins B3.3 engine. One of the models was the Branson 6530 but there are more.

I've read somewhere that Generac is using Kukje engines on some of their generators.

Kukje has also recently signed a contract to manufacture engines for Deutz under 25HP, so Deutz can expand their engine line even further.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar or Kukje? #34  

Hope this link works. Certainly has one man's opinion but lots of factual information as well.

The Kukje diesel engines offered in both TYM and Branson tractors are simply an A-series Cummins.
I have Bransons with A and B engines and LS with the Yanmar engine. In the A size engine, both are indirect injection (per spec sheets) and as I read Yanmar pioneered the indirect process for small diesels at least as far back as the 1970s as I understand, improving their reliability by the elimination of small injector nozzle openings required for DI at lower HP ratings. I futrher understand that TYM purchased Branson to get the Cummins A series licensed engines in their tractors. My 6530 has a 4 cyl. direct injected B 3.3NA.

I don't know how far up the HP chain IDI vs common rail make the changeover. You could go to the mfgrs. www and pull up the specs on the engines...usually if IDI or direct injected they will tell you. Branson and LS do.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #35  
There is a reason Deere uses yanmar for all its little tractors, they are an extremely reliable power plant. I would go with the Yanmar.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #36  
There is a reason Deere uses yanmar for all its little tractors, they are an extremely reliable power plant. I would go with the Yanmar.
So are the Kukje engines...

Which, by the way, Kukje have made tractors for JD in the past, and I pretty sure they still do accordingly to their lot full of JD tractors. Kukje also uses a JD engine on their 120HP tractor in South Korea.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #37  
I would still go with the yanmar, its easier to get parts in North America. Can get them from either deere or yanmar. No Kukje dealer in the area.