12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #21  
I have panel doors on one of my buildings and drum roll up doors on another, in my opinion the roll up drum doors are the winner hands down. They are easy to operate, don't require room for opening, they do not cover up any light fixtures when they're open and I also like the fact that you can get a good tight seal at the bottom when closed.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #22  
I never heard of a Jackshaft opener before, so I looked them up. What is the advantage to them over a conventional garage door type opener for a panel type door?

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #23  
There was a 12' x 12' roll-up door on the barn when I bought the property. The barn is located on a hilltop with the door facing west into the prevailing wind. Driving snow & sleet would get into the joints and freeze making the door difficult or impossible to open in winter. Sometimes, I had to beat the heck out of it with a 2x4 to free up the joints.

I liked the roll-up since there were no tracks to get in the way of implement movement or storage. After the second winter though, I got sick of fighting with it and replaced it with a steel panel door.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #24  
I never heard of a Jackshaft opener before, so I looked them up. What is the advantage to them over a conventional garage door type opener for a panel type door?
I think, mostly the jackshaft opener turns the shaft on the springs to lift the door, instead of lifting on the panels. Jon

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #25  
The ceiling on my attached garage is 12' and I've still had times when the operator track is in the way when working on something high. When I built the shop, I spent the extra on the jack shaft operator (about$800.00) even though I already had a couple of used commercial operators left over from my work. The doors were both so expensive that it didn't seem to matter at the time. Overhead door cost $4000.00 and pedestrian door was $700 because I wanted 3'6" to be able to get my motorcycles in without opening big door. I hope I'm still able to afford some toys when I get finished.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #26  
Well one advantage is when the door doesn’t open all the way and your exhaust pipe on your tractor hits the door and causes the door to shift and bend your tracks, bends the trolley, and the door lands on your shoulder, you wouldn’t need a new trolley. 😀

I’m just thinking that could happen if the previous owner of your property installed a in a manner that didn’t allow your door when opened to clear the door opening completely….. don’t ask me how I know.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #27  
I have a 10' high door opening. I have a ceiling height of about 15'. I wanted the door when open to hug the ceiling so I had room underneath. If I had a conventional opener with a chain and bar mechanism it would be directly above the door and my ceiling height with the door open would be about 10.5'. I wanted as much clear space with the door open as possible.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #28  
What is the advantage to them over a conventional garage door type opener for a panel type door?
There is no hardware attached to the ceiling so I don't whack my head on the opener when I'm standing on top of my antique fire truck. I can also raise the loader all the way to the ceiling when doing things like pulling an engine.

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #29  

I have a 10' high door opening. I have a ceiling height of about 15'. I wanted the door when open to hug the ceiling so I had room underneath. If I had a conventional opener with a chain and bar mechanism it would be directly above the door and my ceiling height with the door open would be about 10.5'. I wanted as much clear space with the door open as possible.
My shop is similar to repete. I have a pair 10'x10' insulated panel doors and a 13' inside ceiling. I wanted the door to hug the ceiling so I could get a car lift in there someday. The installer referred to this configuration as "high lift" vs conventional where they just turn the track horizontal slightly above the top of the door. In my case the track continues straight up, slightly angled back until it gets about a foot from the ceiling, where it finally turns horizontal.

The one thing he made sure to warn me was that if I wanted to put an opener on it later that only a jack shaft opener would work. So that may be the issue for many types of doors. I just finished putting them in now, 8 years later. They do take up less room but you have to plan for the outlet in the right spot, which may not be obvious to most people. I'm glad the installer told me so I could put the outlets in the right spots. They do perform differently than regular openers. They start and stop rather slow and have a solenoid lock pin that automatically retracts and extends when the door is opening/closed. Otherwise you could basically lift the door up from the outside by hand.

Here's a view:
View attachment 724493

/ 12'h x 16' w Roll up door vs panel door #30  
Good advice above. I build auto dealerships for a living. Our go to for durability / daily use with no space issues are insulated sectional doors ( with appropriate wind ratings for region) with jackshaft commercial operators. We only use coiling where space is restricted.

high speed coiling (Rytec) - fastest/ most expensive
Sectional - durable/ decent speed
Coiling - slow/space saving.
All have their uses.
Good to see someone knowledgeable about doors!!!

Rytec is probably the “Cadillac”!of high speed doors.
We’ve been doing alot of Hormann/Flexon high speeds lately. Long term I don’t have an opinion yet…….short term is promising.