Mushroom ID?

/ Mushroom ID? #11  
When I was about three, I loved mushrooms and was very excited to find them growing in our yard. The big sister who seventeen told me I couldn’t eat them because they might be poisonous, and most mushrooms we’re poisonous. I skied her how you could tell which ones were safe. She told me you really couldn’t be sure.

After that, much to the confusion and consternation of my mother, I refused to eat anything with mushrooms in it. I thought everybody in the family was suicidal, because the were eating mushrooms, and there was no way to be sure they were safe.

I was in Boy Scouts before I figured out that the ones in the store were most probably safe and started eating them again.

/ Mushroom ID? #12  
If ya wanna really get that emotion goin, image search "cordyceps".. :sick:o_O:geek:
I've adopted whole new respect of fungus since gettin into this lil hobby.
Fascinating stuff.. :cool:(y)

If I knew absolutely, positively for certain they'd result in the ultimate, that would be one thing. But too many of these will just screw you up bad, blind you or rot your brain and turn you into one of them. That is not an acceptable outcome.

/ Mushroom ID? #13  
GOSH I LOVE MORELS!! They are not prolific in our neck of the woods, but they can be found. My neighbor is a huge shroom forager. Lots of Chanterelle, Chic and Hen of the woods around here. We were camping a month ago and she picked a bunch of immature puff balls and sautéed them up, they were good! But I agree about not eating and mushroom unless you are 100% certain. I have heard a couple horror stories about that.

I grow Shiitake on logs at my house, and about to inoculate some logs with Oysters this spring. A bit of work on the front end but very satisfying to pick 15 lbs of shiitake numerous times a year.

/ Mushroom ID? #15  
If I knew absolutely, positively for certain they'd result in the ultimate, that would be one thing. But too many of these will just screw you up bad, blind you or rot your brain and turn you into one of them. That is not an acceptable outcome.
There is a mushroom called the False Morel. They sort of resemble morels. But only sort of. Morel mushrooms are conical in shape, kinda like a Christmas tree shape, and are hollow. Cut them in two and they will be hollow. If solid then not Morel. Look at a picture of them. Then if you find some harvest them. Bring them home, cut in half lengthwise, and soak in some salt water. This will cause any little creatures to leave. Then rinse in fresh water and cook them. They are out of this world good. I have never had a mushroom as good as a morel.
Eric

/ Mushroom ID? #16  
Gary says morels taste like meat. He doesn't chew steak either. I'll pass & keep giving them away.

/ Mushroom ID? #19  
The first wild mushroom I picked was a "bear's paw". Some friends who were big into picking them looked it up and the description said "This cannot be confused with any other mushroom" and "When cooked in butter they taste like broiled lobster tails."
We tried them and found that when fried in butter they tasted like "melted butter."

I don't find them often, but when I do my favorite way to cook them is to replace the noodles in chicken soup. 😛

/ Mushroom ID? #20  
I know - puff balls, shaggy mains & morells. But thats just right here in my locality.

I learned by going out with a fellow I trusted and followed his advice. It's a good way to learn and not get sick or croak.