Chain sharpening woes.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I have been getting my saw chains sharpened (for me for the last 20 years), since it has been been cheap, well done and easy(er). I have the proper round file, with guide, that I've used for touch ups.

Since moving to rural Iowa, I had to find/choose a new hardware store for this (normally painless) task. I took five chains in, and two weeks(!) later, they were done - after I called 'em they got done that day. Tried one, then the second "sharpened" chains and got sawdust. Arrrrg. I checked the chains and they indeed were sharp, but the rakers were not addressed. They are flush with the cutters. I have now bought a depth gauge and will need to re-do the chains, by hand. Since the closest chain sharpener is 30 minutes now, I will start doing these myself.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #2  
I have been getting my saw chains sharpened (for me for the last 20 years), since it has been been cheap, well done and easy(er). I have the proper round file, with guide, that I've used for touch ups.

Since moving to rural Iowa, I had to find/choose a new hardware store for this (normally painless) task. I took five chains in, and two weeks(!) later, they were done - after I called 'em they got done that day. Tried one, then the second "sharpened" chains and got sawdust. Arrrrg. I checked the chains and they indeed were sharp, but the rakers were not addressed. They are flush with the cutters. I have now bought a depth gauge and will need to re-do the chains, by hand. Since the closest chain sharpener is 30 minutes now, I will start doing these myself.
I had to watch a few videos to learn how to properly sharpen a chain. It's good practice and the more you do the better you get.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #3  
   / Chain sharpening woes.
Last edited:
   / Chain sharpening woes. #7  
I use something similar to this:

Had mine since the 80s, think I got it at Sears. It does an OK job, but not as good as a professional sharpening (provided you can find someone who still does it).

Getting hard to find anyone who sharpens chains these days. Used to be having a sharpening business was a common side hustle, but no one seems to be doing it anymore. Maybe with blades, chains, etc. coming down in price there just wasn't the demand anymore. I guess people figure why pay $10 to sharpen a chain when you can get a new one for $18.
Dropped off a chain at a hardware store a couple years ago, got a call saying that the chain had to be on the saw for their guy to sharpen it. Uhh, I don't think so.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #8  
Had to cut up a large pressure treated deck years ago; used my chain saw. Tried sharpening the chain when it got dull, but the sharpened chain would get dull again pretty quickly. Found it to be much quicker and more efficient to just throw a new chain on. Wasn't that expensive ; was worth the cost to get the job over and done with.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #9  
When you wear a chain down often the hard chrome on the top of the teeth will be worn away from the cutting edge. When you sharpen you have to remove enough material to get the chrome all way way to the edge. Otherwise it may feel sharp but it will dull fast.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #10  
I took my chain to the hardware store for sharpening. It cut better before they sharpened it, turns out they changed the cutter profile. Since then I've always sharpened my own chains by hand. When I get to needing to file more than the cutting edge, I replace the chain.

I took planer blades to a saw sharpening shop. They came back with a ragged cutting edge and the edge was blue! They destroyed the knives! I bought my own machine to sharpen the cutting edges and do all my own blades now.