Loan a Yanmar

/ Loan a Yanmar #1  

richriddle

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 with LA853 Loader, Yanmar YM276D with YFL1000 Loader, Yanmar YM276D, Yanmar YM147D, Case 1845C
One of the neighbors has noticed the tractors being used in the past and wants to "borrow one of those old red tractors" for the spring and part of the summer. I am disinclined to lend him a Yanmar and was surprised he asked. Would any of you ever lend out one of your Yanmar tractors?

/ Loan a Yanmar #3  
If your neighbor is a friend,, that's a good way to lose a friend.
If your neighbor is not a friend, he has a monsterous set of cajones.

Who pays for break downs ? Borrow or rent ? Presumable, you have the Yanmar's to use them. What will you do without the one he borrows.

Best tell him you have projects for your Yanmar, and cannot accomodate him.

/ Loan a Yanmar #4  
If those were his words "one of those old red tractors" would disincline me as well, and if he didn't ask if he could rent it, then no.

I think it's reasonable to rent a unit around market rates, as long as you know the context of the planned use, and the condition is the same when returned, and understanding he is responsible for any damage and repair.

/ Loan a Yanmar #5  
One of the neighbors has noticed the tractors being used in the past and wants to "borrow one of those old red tractors" for the spring and part of the summer. I am disinclined to lend him a Yanmar and was surprised he asked. Would any of you ever lend out one of your Yanmar tractors?

Say it isn't so. No no no no.

Tell him it's like the potato chip commercial, 'get your own bag'. :)

Now, with that said, I have lent out my box blade and 3PT post hole auger. I will not lend out the brush mower.

Now, once you have the 2nd YM276 working, you 'could' reconsider renting it to them.

/ Loan a Yanmar
The neighbor is not a friend, and before being outside at the farm today, I had never spoken to him. In the last few years, he has waived a few times when slowing down to get to his land.

The newly acquired YM276D sits in upstate New York until pickup can be arranged, so he hasn't seen it. I looked up some of the rental companies in the area. One will deliver and pick up a tool/tractor for free if you rent it for a month or longer. I plan to give him that information.

/ Loan a Yanmar #10  
Absolutely not