Comparison Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I am fixing up my JD 790 with FEL and Backhoe for future replacement, and either sell or trade in if I get what its worth on the market, and would look for at least a 40 Hp tractor, non turbo, Gear driven, and with dealer support.

What is the best one out there for a reasonable price, something in the price range of what it would take to replace my truck, I would not be prone to buy, if it goes beyond a 2022 4 door Tacoma.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #2  
Need more info. What kind of small farming? Hay?
New tractor or used? 40HP engine or 40HP PTO? 4x2 or 4x4?
If used, Id be looking at older Kubota M4900 or an older Case-IH Farmall/DX series.
Theres plenty more good selections, but if you can be more specific, it would help us help you.

Last edited:
   / Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #3  
If used, Id be looking at older Kubota M4900 or an older Case-IH Farmall/DX series.
Theres plenty more good selections, but if you can be more specific, it would help us help you.
Or even an M4700.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0875.jpg
    8x6SAM_0875.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 8x6SAM_0798.jpg
    8x6SAM_0798.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20140427_103025.jpg
    20140427_103025.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 158

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #4  
If you are wanting to use the tractor for farming implements, you will need something with a category 2 hitch. For Kubota, this means a MX or M series tractor. I’m not sure about the series numbers for other brands.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #5  
If you want dealer support, you need to tell us what dealer(s) is near you.

I doubt that a Belarus would fit your needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?
Need more info. What kind of small farming? Hay?
New tractor or used? 40HP engine or 40HP PTO? 4x2 or 4x4?
Well, we are going to expand the current fruit trees to all the acreage around the house, and see what we can grow on the separate lots that we have, about 20 acres total. For the agricultural exemption, you have to either plant or have animals, and getting a bit too much to keep the animals, so planting. I would prefer new, but always looking for best value, and want 40 plus horsepower in the engine with 4X4, I really dont see much difference in the PTO, but I havent used enough implements to really get a feel for it. As for the model, it has to have excellent dealer support as thats a deal breaker. (I learned that from the Fiat Sports cars I used to own, took over a month to get one part from Italy, never again..!)

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #7  
Sounds like you're limiting yourself to only the 2 most expensive colors.

That's fine.

But don't think for a second that either of the big 2 won't ever leave you waiting for parts for a month. With the current craziness of supply and demand, anyone can have issues getting parts.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #8  
Well, we are going to expand the current fruit trees to all the acreage around the house, and see what we can grow on the separate lots that we have, about 20 acres total. For the agricultural exemption, you have to either plant or have animals, and getting a bit too much to keep the animals, so planting. I would prefer new, but always looking for best value, and want 40 plus horsepower in the engine with 4X4, I really dont see much difference in the PTO, but I havent used enough implements to really get a feel for it. As for the model, it has to have excellent dealer support as thats a deal breaker. (I learned that from the Fiat Sports cars I used to own, took over a month to get one part from Italy, never again..!)
What reputable dealers are in your wheelhouse?

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming?
If you want dealer support, you need to tell us what dealer(s) is near you.

I doubt that a Belarus would fit your needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well, I travel from Florida to Texas a good deal so can pick up the small parts anywhere in those states with no problem. But I tried to get the R4 tires for my other tractor, and its like as soon as I locate one, its sold by the seller or put on a new tractor at the dealer. So need the parts and service to be readily available, and John Deere, Kubota, and New Holland seemed to be the nearest with Kiota and Mahindra further out.

/ Whats the best non turbo 40Hp tractor for small farming? #10  
I am fixing up my JD 790 with FEL and Backhoe for future replacement, and either sell or trade in if I get what its worth on the market, and would look for at least a 40 Hp tractor, non turbo, Gear driven, and with dealer support.

What is the best one out there for a reasonable price, something in the price range of what it would take to replace my truck, I would not be prone to buy, if it goes beyond a 2022 4 door Tacoma.

Tractors don't come much more basic than your 30hp JD790. Consider just keeping it or looking for a larger hp - JD990 - version of the same.

What is it you like or don't like about the JD790?