Snow blower purchase

/ Snow blower purchase #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Looking to get a walk behind snow blower. I do not want one that attaches to the tractor. Want the wife to have the capacity to use it. We have a gravel driveway. So I know I need at least a two stage but should strongly consdier a three stage. What else do I need to look at? Do the have some kind of adjustable skid to keep them off the gravel for the first round? Seems like as you get the snow pack the later rounds of snow blowing should clear down to that solid pack no?

Also what would happen with one of those if I snow blow over the lawn? We have a barn out back where the horses are and it would be nice to clear a walking path to it rather than trudge through the snow.

Also not to start a color war, but what are the good brands? I am happy to invest some money in this and get good features. Must have electric start and self propelled.

Thanks!

/ Snow blower purchase #2  
My experience with walk-behind snowblowers is limited to wheeled models-- Ariens (2-stage), Eska Sno-King and a Goldoni 2-wheeled tractor (both single stage). In my opinion 3-stage is a marketing ploy.

With fresh and fluffy snow no deeper than the height of the auger and sufficient power (no less than 8 hp for 2' width) on hard (frozen or dry) ground the machine will work wonderfully well.

All my machines had or have skid shoes that can be set so the blade or bottom of the auger housing will clear the grass or gravel. (Unless the ground is wet or muddy or you are on loose stone "gravel" so that the shoes sink.) The inherent disadvantage is that the snowblowers pitch (rotate around the axle) especially when making the first cut in heavy, wet, or otherwise consolidated or packed snow. That is, the skid shoes ride up on the snow, the handles drop down, and it is necessary to back up and then go forward again. Setting the skids low to raise the bottom exacerbates the tendency to pitch back. once the initial path is made, you can take less than a full width cut which reduces the tendency to pitch.

There is a certain amount of wrestling involved in maneuvering a walk-behind. I dress much more warmly when I use my tractor as that machine does the work. Your wife might prefer to learn to use the tractor rather than a walk-behind.

Last edited:
   / Snow blower purchase #3  
Ariens is a very popular brand in this area and the 2 stage all come with adjustable skids. Some also have electric start option via plug into wall outlet. This is a nice feature for cold starts or someone that is a little smaller and would have difficulty pulling a starter rope brisk enough. If working in area with poor lighting they also have a head light option. I think most Ariens also have the feature here you engage the blower and then travel drive and you can now release the blower drive to use that hand while traveling. Some makes and models may not have this feature.

Ariens in based in northern Wisconsin so they understand snow.

/ Snow blower purchase #5  
2 stage blowers will have shoes you can adjust to stay out of the gravel, but they always seem to catch some. I don't get snow pack in my climate, but yes, you could adjust the shoes back down once a base is established.

I've never owned a 3 stage blower, but the demos I've seen are not very impressive. I suspect they may be better when going through hard snow banks where the additional stage can chew up hard chunks better. My 2 stage blower goes through hard banks just fine though.

I have always been partial to Ariens blowers. I have a 2 stage 30", and (2) single stage 22" blowers. They have all been very reliable and easy starting. The 120v starter option works well, particularly if the operator is not that strong upper body wise. I run mine dry at the end of the season, so in late fall when I fuel it up I usually use the electric start.

Other blowers that enjoy a good reputation are Toro, Honda, and Yamaha (Europe). I'm sure there are other quality brands.
Finally, if your wife will be the primary operator, blowers wider than 24" start to get more difficult to handle.

/ Snow blower purchase #6  
Ariens actually has a nice museum in Brillion Wisconsin

/ Snow blower purchase #7  
Looking to get a walk behind snow blower. I do not want one that attaches to the tractor. Want the wife to have the capacity to use it. We have a gravel driveway. So I know I need at least a two stage but should strongly consdier a three stage. What else do I need to look at? Do the have some kind of adjustable skid to keep them off the gravel for the first round? Seems like as you get the snow pack the later rounds of snow blowing should clear down to that solid pack no?

Also what would happen with one of those if I snow blow over the lawn? We have a barn out back where the horses are and it would be nice to clear a walking path to it rather than trudge through the snow.

Also not to start a color war, but what are the good brands? I am happy to invest some money in this and get good features. Must have electric start and self propelled.

Thanks!

You let the ground freeze and then you can drive over it to pack it down and then
you will be able to clear it with the snow blower.

If you have pea gravel for your driveway you are going to run into problems.

Just go over to the www.snowblower.com forum and become a member
for free and ask questions and you will have all the answers you
need to make a purchase.

/ Snow blower purchase #8  
Electric start for her, auto turn steering, and add polyethylene skids sloped front to back to avoid digging gravel or dirt. Put a 2x4 flat under blower to adjust the blower for the first few clearings until your base freezes. Later a 1/2 inch plywood scrap. That will help prevent rock throwing. Heated grips, led headlight, and one handed cable drive chute control work great. Mine is a 30 inch Craftsman but a 26 might be better for her. Synthetic oil makes for one pull starts, but she may prefer electric start that plugs into 110 volt.

/ Snow blower purchase #10  
I bought this Ariens model, it is a Ariens compact 24'' with large wheels and auto turn. It comes with electric start, but I've yet to use it. It starts on 2nd pull every time. My previous one was a 20'' Ariens that I had repowered with a Predator engine, that thing was a flippin beast on the snow with 5.5Hp on a little 20''. But it got flattened when the trees came down.....one of many times.

Anyway, I've used this #920029 for two winters so far, it is pretty decent machine. You can find it for $999 if you look, and it is all steel construction.