Seized chainsaw

/ Seized chainsaw #31  
The saw manufacturers will tell you that adding extra oil displaces the gas causing a lean run condition Now with that being said I have thought that even doubling the oil in the mix only results in a 2% change in gas/oil ratio. And if that 2% causing a lean failure you had problems before you even started.
That’s my thoughts too. I only add slightly more oil, not an excessive amount.

/ Seized chainsaw #32  
Not if you tune carb to the mix your running. Been running 40:1 forever and 32:1 when ported stuff back in the day.

OEM has to tell you this stuff and to run 50 because of EPA. Read up on it. They have to tell you this, no ifs about it in US.

Carry on enjoyed the morning read and bickering in thread. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

/ Seized chainsaw #33  
That’s my thoughts too. I only add slightly more oil, not an excessive amount.

Not if you tune carb to the mix your running. Been running 40:1 forever and 32:1 when ported stuff back in the day.

OEM has to tell you this stuff and to run 50 because of EPA. Read up on it. They have to tell you this, no ifs about it in US.

Carry on enjoyed the morning read and bickering in thread. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes I really wonder how critical the mix ratio is. Up until the last few years saw manufacturers would tell you to double the mix ratio if using something other than there brand. So Solo/Dolmar/Stihl would say use 50:1 if using their oil but mix it at 25:1 for other brands. The new Poulan Pro premix gas says 40:1/50:1 on the can so which is it. And then the not as common now 1 mix pouches which was supposedly could be used to replace all mix ratios was 100:1.

/ Seized chainsaw #34  
Sometimes I really wonder how critical the mix ratio is. Up until the last few years saw manufacturers would tell you to double the mix ratio if using something other than there brand. So Solo/Dolmar/Stihl would say use 50:1 if using their oil but mix it at 25:1 for other brands. The new Poulan Pro premix gas says 40:1/50:1 on the can so which is it. And then the not as common now 1 mix pouches which was supposedly could be used to replace all mix ratios was 100:1.

If you dont like your crank bearings or big end rod bearings etc run those epa thinner ratios. JMO

My dad tried that thinner ratio crap in his boat and couple seasons she was thump thump thump. I didnt know he had done it at the time. New used motor later because it was cheaper then rebuilding. I was like nooooooooooooooooooo.

But why we all make our own choices. Nobody selling me a saw is changing mine. I know they are mandated by EPA what they can say. ;)

/ Seized chainsaw #35  
What does the term "ported" mean when refering to chainsaw modifications? Thanx

Heck I still have some small cans of Homelite 1:16 oil for mixing.
Mike

/ Seized chainsaw #36  
don't forget to reed small print too
On oil can should be stated, that mix is good only few months.
Pro loggers dosnt feel that at all, but farmers might use their saws once in year. But that good old gas+oil mix from last time can be used only to light-up bonfire, no to be poured in saw.

/ Seized chainsaw #37  
More oil is good to a point, then it creates problems. More oil means more carbon. More carbon, especially on the exhaust port, means more scoring on a piston.

50:1 with modern oils is fine. Hell, I have a couple of old mccullochs that say 32:1. I just dump in my stihl premix in the can @ 50:1 and go.

Chainsaw bearings need just a good oil film. Any type of modern synthetic oil provides this...

/ Seized chainsaw #38  

Mike
Porting and muffler modifying is a way to "hop up" a saw. If not done right and carb is not adjusted for the mods, they are good ways to ruin a perfectly good saw. My saws have plenty of Ooomph the way the factory's spit them out. A sharp chain is the most important for performance. IMHO

/ Seized chainsaw #39  
Thanx gs99.....That's where I'll stay too....no porting for me. Now, as I get older.....my issue is whether my "hands" have a enough Ooomph to "seize" the saw. :rolleyes:

/ Seized chainsaw #40  

Mike
You alter the size of the intake, exhaust, and/or transfer ports to change the air/fuel flow and sometimes change the timing.

Sounds simple, eh? 🤣

Are you familiar with how a 2-stroke gas engine like on a chainsaw works? If not, there's a bunch of videos on youtube that show it. I'd find a good video, and a junk chainsaw. Watch the video and take apart the chainsaw. Really quite interesting as there's no valves to speak of. Just the position of the piston blocking and covering the different holes (ports) in the cylinder walls at different times, and the crank pushing the mixture around in the crank case. Kinda elegantly simple with few moving parts.