Wind Generation

/ Wind Generation #31  
And this one...

134CC766-D369-4ACD-A19F-5B0B9A84B326.jpeg

/ Wind Generation #32  
Just drove from Ohio back to eastern PA for the 20th time and saw the uglification of the mountain range with wind turbines on them.

/ Wind Generation #33  
Dude, come on. The cables are underground and all of them I've seen have local switchyards just as several others have said. I suppose you are looking for someone that was standing there when they were built? Conspiracy theory much.
So we still haven't seen a cable being laid and don't have a connection to anywhere .

/ Wind Generation #34  
A year ago this month, we had no electricity for a week because the wind farms crapped out due to cold weather. They took our electric and sent it up North. :rolleyes: All the while, we stayed below freezing. I hope all those bird killers crash and burn.

/ Wind Generation #36  
Even more interesting is trying to find a single power plant that has be replaced by wind power? All those billions of tax payer money spent for green energy, and you have to keep the power plants running 24/7 because the windmills are so unreliable, and difficult to keep working.

Another thing that would be fun is trying to find a windmill farm that exists without government funding to keep it going.

And the easiest is to count all the windmills that are in disrepair and falling apart because the government funding ended and it costs more to maintain them then they generate in revenue.
You are about ten years behind the times. The big incentives for wind energy have expired and they are producing wind energy cheaply. You don’t seem to understand how power is generated and distributed. The wind energy doesn’t feed into a power plant; the wind farm is the power plant feeding into the distribution grid. So does the solar farms and the new natural gas power plants. Modern electrical generation is a mix of sources; no some old fashioned single coal plant providing all the power.

/ Wind Generation #37  
A year ago this month, we had no electricity for a week because the wind farms crapped out due to cold weather. They took our electric and sent it up North. :rolleyes: All the while, we stayed below freezing. I hope all those bird killers crash and burn.

/ Wind Generation #38  
Your Texas wind farms froze just like your Texas natural gas lines feeding power plants froze because in Texas they didn’t winterize the system. Meanwhile in adjacent New Mexico and the rest of the plains states, during the same cold weather the wind and gas plants kept operating because they were designed for winter. The problem is not with the technology; the problem is that they didn’t build the systems correctly in Texas.

/ Wind Generation #39  
It's been 2 years and my question has not been answered so i'll ask again in a slightly different context .

Has anyone ever seen a cable being buried from a commercial windmill to a point that electricity can be distributed ?
Yes. I’ve seen solar farms under construction. They run underground transmission lines that tie into the overhead grid lines.

/ Wind Generation #40  
I understand how wind farms generate electricity when the wind is blowing at the proper speed, and how they just sit there when the wind isn't correct. I also understand that when they are producing energy, this adds to the amount of power available. Do you understand that when they are not working, then they are not adding to the grid?

Reasons for them to not work isn't just limited to a lack of wind. Freezing has proven to be a significant problem. Dust is the biggest issues. Where the wind blows, there is a lot of dust. Dust wears away all moving parts. Wind mills require a massive amounts of lubrication. Windmills require a massive amount of man hours to provide this lubrication. And windmills wear out quickly because they are constantly sand blasted by what's flying around in the air from the wind.

The cost of the windmill, the cost to transport it, the cost of the land, and the cost to assemble it, does not come close to paying for it. Add maintenance to the equation and how short of a lifespan they have, means that every wind mill loses money. It is feel good science. It's politics at it's worse.