Satellite TV

/ Satellite TV #1  

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
I have been with Direct TV for nearly two decades but was forced to do an upgrade to HD last June due to the deactivation of Direct TV's standard equipment and they could not repair my system. Since then I have had nothing but issues. Technically and administratively/billing. As a result I am evaluating whether to stay with them or jump to Dish.
You hear all sorts of things about Dish TV but not in any concise form or format.

So here is my request:

For anyone with Dish what have been your experiences? Both good and bad.

For anyone with Dish that changed to Direct TV. What caused you to move/abandon Dish TV and why?

For anyone that had Direct TV and moved to Dish were you happy with the move after the fact and why? Did you regret it and wish you had not moved?

/ Satellite TV #2  
The last I heard, dish and directv are wanting to partner up, but they are waiting on government approval.

If the sale is approved, your troubles may double.

/ Satellite TV #3  
We had Direct TV for a while until we could get out of their contract. Service was okay but nothing but lies, lies, lies over billing. They never met the price the salesman promised in writing, and every month there was an increase. We got very tired of fighting with them and the lies.

As soon as we could, we changed to DISH. Consistent and promised (promotional) price for 2 years. Then that ended and they wanted to go from $86/month to over $136. We said "no thanks" and cancelled. Although we are 60 miles from Cincinnati, we can pick up 30+ channels on a simple antenna mounted on a 20' mast. If we wanted more, a rotator or additional antennas would pick up a couple of more major cities and a handful of smaller ones.

$136/month * 12 = $1632 a year. Satellite isn't worth it to us.

/ Satellite TV #4  
The last I heard, dish and directv are wanting to partner up, but they are waiting on government approval.

If the sale is approved, your troubles may double.
That's a shame. Government permitted monopoly. Bad news.

/ Satellite TV #5  
We have Dish, never had Direct. We've had it for a little over 4 years and haven't really had any trouble with them over the equipment or billing so haven't needed to talk to customer service. We can not get OTA. I think the TV programming is terrible and the commercials exceed the program content so we plan to cancel as soon as we can get Starlink and we'll stream what we want to watch.

/ Satellite TV #6  
I've had DISH for over ten years. No problems AND no other way to receive TV. It's either satellite TV or listen to the radio.

/ Satellite TV #7  
We’ve had direct for 15 years. Pricey but reliable and never an issue with what they say vs do.
My sister in law lives 2 miles away and has dish. Seems like every other month they are dropping a channel due to contract negotiations. Sometimes it is the main networks, sometimes a lesser known channel but always something.

/ Satellite TV #8  
I have been with Direct TV for nearly two decades but was forced to do an upgrade to HD last June due to the deactivation of Direct TV's standard equipment and they could not repair my system. Since then I have had nothing but issues. Technically and administratively/billing. As a result I am evaluating whether to stay with them or jump to Dish.
You hear all sorts of things about Dish TV but not in any concise form or format.

So here is my request:

For anyone with Dish what have been your experiences? Both good and bad.

For anyone with Dish that changed to Direct TV. What caused you to move/abandon Dish TV and why?

For anyone that had Direct TV and moved to Dish were you happy with the move after the fact and why? Did you regret it and wish you had not moved?
I fired Direct TV about six years ago because DTV kept jacking up the rates. I’ve been with Dish Network since then with zero issues and they’ve been very judicious about rate increases over the years. No complaints with Dish. The only time I’ve had service interruptions is when snow fills the receiver dish. I had them mount on a pole outside instead of on the roof, so a broom easily takes care of the snow issues.

/ Satellite TV #9  
We had Direct TV for a while until we could get out of their contract. Service was okay but nothing but lies, lies, lies over billing. They never met the price the salesman promised in writing, and every month there was an increase. We got very tired of fighting with them and the lies.

As soon as we could, we changed to DISH. Consistent and promised (promotional) price for 2 years. Then that ended and they wanted to go from $86/month to over $136. We said "no thanks" and cancelled. Although we are 60 miles from Cincinnati, we can pick up 30+ channels on a simple antenna mounted on a 20' mast. If we wanted more, a rotator or additional antennas would pick up a couple of more major cities and a handful of smaller ones.

$136/month * 12 = $1632 a year. Satellite isn't worth it to us.
I have Dish for $60/month and plenty of channels.

/ Satellite TV #10  
Had direct tv since they started. Yes to all their frustrations. They wanted to upgrade but wouldn’t replace dish on wall on roof offset. I or them have replaced that dish 4-5 times in 25 years. Insisted a new dish be installed by my main entrance on front of house and more trees to block??? Butt ugly too.

Tried Starlink beta test last year, inconsistent connection. Spendy option too.

Spent the last 4.5 months working with ATT to get 2600’ of fiber to house. Now great internet and use DTV streaming. Save $80/mo and so much better. So long dish.

Telecoms have gotten billion$ from our taxpayer $$ to bring high speed internet to rural areas so keep checking. If you have a landline phone should be able to get fiber soon.