The questions about invisible fence for dog

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #1  

Ricardo Stewart

Tractor
JD 5090E
Hi. Have you used an invisible dog fence? How well does it work? Hope your guys can recommend one brand for me.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #2  
ho yes they work well seen it at work but never bought one myself, their is some training require so your dog understands and dosent get shock for no reason, there is the underground wire or the wireless router depending on your lot size or the area you want your dog to be in you have to choose which one is best for you. The wireless one is a set radius from the router and the underground you need to dig a small trench to bury the wire, personally i recommend the underground one but i believe it’s more expensive. I can’t help you with a brand.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #3  
We used it about 25 years ago for a pair of GSDs. It worked ok, but the dog's personality matters. Some will withdraw and be too scared to even go out. Others will run through the pain and escape. We had to shave the fur near the prongs so there would even be contact. It probably would have worked better if we had been more skilled at training. I don't recall the brand. We did have the wire type... Back then I think it was the only option.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #4  
Good morning. I highly recommend the wireless system sold by Pet Safe. It is simple to set up and adjust to the range of your needs. Our German Shepard wanted to roam the area and after having to pick him up from concerned dog lovers miles away knew we had to try a system. My son had good luck with his wireless pet safe system so i bought the same one. I wanted my very large dog to learn his boundary as soon as possible.

I set his rechargable collar at full highest level from day one. Placed the little white flags all around yard while holding the collar in hand. I could hear the warning tone when close to fence limits. I walked him around the new fence area and flags letting collar tone work. After a few hard shocks he respected the fenced area. When I take his collar off to recharge he has never went beyond the fenced area even though the flags were removed the first summer. At first he was leery when I removed collar and leashed him to go past fence boundary but learned very fast it was safe. So he can still run and follow four wheeler and side by side when I choose.
It has contained our VERY Large Zeuss for two years with zero problems and keeps him home and out of the road. I highly recommend the Pet Safe wireless fence. Best $300 I have spent in awhile.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #5  
Used one for years with my old dogs. Worked a treat. But training the dog(S) is the key. The invisible fence wont keep the dogs contained if they dont want contained. They see a deer and bolt for it with no respect of the "invisible" fence and they arent gonna stop.

My new dogs were much harder to get trained to it...and still had an occasional escape. Plus the 4 of them like to play rough with eachother. I found that I was going through quite a few collars a year at $200 a pop so just decided it was best for an actual fence. I know a real fence isnt for everyone, but the lay of my land made it quite a nice place to fence in 4 acres for them out back and side of the house but not have to worry about a driveway gate or anything.

They quickly figured out they could climb and escape the 4' high fence though. A single strand hot wire to a fencer around the top has solved that and knock on wood...no issues in 2 years now

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #6  
A friend had two Alaskan Huskies and an invisible fence. Just like LD1 posted - it worked well when the dogs were calm. See a deer or coyote or whatever - they were gone and beyond the fence in a flash.

Then there was the problem of finding breaks in the wire. He borrowed my metal detector several times. Must have helped or he wouldn't have continued to use it.

This all happened fifteen or so years ago. Hopefully this type of product has improved over time.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #7  
I read about one person who had an invisible fence. Seems his dog would go to the point where the warning sounded until the battery died. Then it went where it wanted.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #8  
We used it on a 3 acre piece of ground by putting the wire in with a home made tool made from a box blade shank and a piece of conduit. It worked well to put the wire in, but I had a problem with lightning strikes killing the control box so we eventually gave up on the system.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #9  
I read about one person who had an invisible fence. Seems his dog would go to the point where the warning sounded until the battery died. Then it went where it wanted.
lol that's a pretty smart dog

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #10  
We've been using a Havahart wireless radial fence for 8 years. They recently stopped making all of their fencing systems. So we are looking at Pet Safe wireless systems when we need to replace. These use a proprietary battery system, which are $$$. Our dog has been very hard on the collars, which were nearly as expensive as the whole system. What ever brand you pick, check the replacement cost.

Things we learned the hard way:

Always remember if the dog has the collar on. Poor dog got shocked lots of times when we took him on a car ride and drove out of the zone. Its near impossible to get the scent of skunk out of a collar.
If wireless, you have to walk the entire perimeter with the collar to see if there are "shadow" zones between the transmitter base unit and the collar. Again, poor dog was getting shocked cause the water heater and stove created a shadow if they lined up, till we moved the Base Unit higher up. For the first few years, while our dog was young, if he saw a deer, the collar was no deterrent even at Max High. One of the base units failed, in the sense that it would not let the dog return into the zone with out getting shocked. It took hours to figure this out, and to walk the zone and find where he was trying to get back in. He didn't bark for some reason. You always have to double check that the collar latch was entirely clicked in. Its near impossible to locate a lost collar.