Battery terminals

/ Battery terminals #1  

denjen

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3515ch
Thought I would post this as an FYI to check battery terminals. I had an issue when i turned on tractor the tach and temp needles started bouncing around and the hour meter went dead. It was a bad ground and found both battery terminals being eaten through. I honestly ignored them when checking tractor out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_103307653.jpg
    IMG_20220306_103307653.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 199
   / Battery terminals #2  
Good post. Bad connections is more often than not the problem with electrical issues.

/ Battery terminals #3  
Had the same thing happen to a Kubota L5030. With the loader on it took me several hours to get to it and replace after some modification to a new clamp.

/ Battery terminals #4  
Also the ground to frame can be issue.

/ Battery terminals #5  
Looks to ne like pizz poor maintenace, just like the high resistance crimp on connector that is also most likely eaten up.

I never have issues like that. My posts and clamps are always cleaned properly and coated with di-electric grease.

/ Battery terminals #6  
Thought I would post this as an FYI to check battery terminals. I had an issue when i turned on tractor the tach and temp needles started bouncing around and the hour meter went dead. It was a bad ground and found both battery terminals being eaten through. I honestly ignored them when checking tractor out.

Curious as to what year the tractor is and if the battery had ever been previously changed. Thanks!

/ Battery terminals
Branson Bob, the tractor is 2019 and purchased new. Uh, 5030, yes I own up to ignoring the terminals and they are fixed properly now; but don't not a fan of the attitude.

/ Battery terminals #8  
denjen, please excuse our resident troll... It's like he has too much free time or something...

I'm not that much fan of this style of battery terminal, although I've never had any issues with those, but definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for the remainder on checking the terminals.

My sister's car had a OEM battery that for some reason would eat through the Negative battery terminals. No matter how clean and protected with dielectric grease it was, it would keep on corroding the terminal. Replaced that battery a year or so ago and never had any issues. This old battery is now on my generator and still does the same exact thing. I just have to keep an eye on it.

/ Battery terminals
ptsg, no worries and agree not a fan of that style, so went with the older style and modified it. I can't believe how thin those new style are, probably cheaper to manufacturer. Branson Bob, sorry the battery is the original.

/ Battery terminals #10  
Denjen,

Don't worry, that particular troll seldom slithers this far down the forums. He must be feeling neglected and need some extra attention.

Glad to see you found and fixed the problem.

So far my terminals haven't had that issue, but my OEM battery died in the first winter. My replacement battery doesn't out-gas, so my terminals stay clean.