Trailer Purchasing Advise

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #1  

Beezz27

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK40SE HST, 1975? Ford 3000
I am in the market for a trailer to haul my tractor, DK40 HST, the longest the tractor will be is almost exactly 22ft with the loader and bush hog, although 98% of the time I wouldn't be hauling it with the bush hog, and with any other attachment I'm only between 17-19ft. I was ORIGINALLY looking for a 20ft 14k but the more I thought about it I figured I'd enjoy the room of a 22ft. I called a local dealer and they actually didn't have a 22 but they do have a 24ft in stock. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the trailer yet (to check for Quality of build) but what is your opinion on a 24ft bumper pull? I will be pulling it with a RAM 2500. It seems like a lot of trailer to me but then again I'd have no worry of needing extra space.
Another question would be, is anyone familiar with Currahee trailers? That is the brand of the trailer (24ft 14k) and this dealer has quoted me almost $600 less for this 24ft than another dealer had quoted me for a 22ft GPS brand trailer.
I know that better quality comes at higher prices and I haven't gone to look at either trailer (neither dealer is super close to me and of course they are in opposite directions from me), just curious if anyone on here was familiar with either the Currahee or GPS Brand(s)

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #2  
24 feet is typically about the longest I see people going with a bumper pull. That is loooong. My own 20' trailer feels very long to me (though I wouldn't dare go shorter, my ck3510 barely fits with attachments mounted).

Is it a car-hauler or equipment trailer? IE, what are the ramps like. I love that my 20' is a car hauler, so that the ramps stow away instead of being up in the way all the time. A brush hog can hang off a couple feet. But on an equipment trailer, not the case.

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #3  
I have a PJ model TF 22' 14K tilt bed trailer for hauling my LS 3037HC, cars, trucks, etc. It is listed at 22' but the deck is actually 23'. It is a great hauler. I tow with a Chevy 2500HD. I've had tilt beds for the last 15 years and like them much better since I don't have to use ramps. My previous trailer was a 20' tilt and I didn't have much wiggle room fore and aft to balance the load.

Not familiar with Currahee or GPS brand. I don't think there are any dealers near me. Tilt beds do cost a bit more but no ramps to worry about. Bought mine from a dealer about 50 miles away. Price was about $6800 incl. tax but that was in 2014. I think quality is excellent.

Attachments

• PJ TF.JPG
    PJ TF.JPG
    922.3 KB · Views: 230
  • PJ2.JPG
    PJ2.JPG
    999.5 KB · Views: 240
   / Trailer Purchasing Advise #4  
Just a short reminder. Do a little research on any company. Check to see if they use ONLY certified welders when building their brand. Also, remember to consider the features - all led lighting, brakes on both axles (required in most states over 5K lbs I think), Offset-jack with side crank, spare tire mount and location, ez lube axles, slipper springs, etc.
This is my 14K tilt bed DooLittle trailer. This is before I added the tire mount, front toolbox, solar panel to charge the battery and added GPS tracker, 8 additional marker light on each side, and added more turn-brake led to the rear. The offset jack was upgraded to 12K and has a adjustable coupler mount. Watch to see tire size matches weight wanted. It also has bolt on fenders (some have drive over fenders). I also added a 9K winch. It also has spaces on both sides for steps to get on and off.

You have a great truck for going gooseneck or any other mount for a trailer. This trailer is 20'. I did not have room to park anything longer or gooseneck. But I also use the truck bed space when I travel with the trailer. Ever foot of space on a trailer will become prime real estate. 22' is good and there will be times you will wish to have the 24'. I have 20', and sometimes wish it were 22'.

A little word of caution - Any added feature is great. BUT, if you buy a trailer that is not well built and DOES NOT track well, you will never be comfortable when traveling with it, especially loaded.
I have had several tilt beds. This is the best trailer I have ever had. It is a jewel. And it was priced like a jewel also.

A toolbox will become important as you look for places to store those chain binders you want to use. I keep my chains stretched out on the front deck of the trailer - otherwise they go into the toolbox also.

I installed a GPS tracker - hoping to prevent or locate if stolen. But then I talked with my Ins agent. I had it insured - only cost $23 every six months. I think that is the best way to not worry about that. That coupler lock is made by Proven Industries in Canada. 14" hardened plate. If you use bumper, you may want to look at that.
Best Wishes, hope you find what you want.

Trailer1.jpg
Orange Peel 2.JPG

Last edited:
   / Trailer Purchasing Advise #5  
Trailers are like socks. There's never quite a perfect one.

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #6  
At that length I would definitely check into going gooseneck. I have a 16 foot lowboy (bumper)and a 24 foot gooseneck lowboy. I prefer to pull the 24 foot.
A gooseneck is more forgiving on loading position of trailer and on a 24 foot trailer more positioning room. I was in a wreck (not the driver) caused by a improperly loaded 24 ft bumper pull trailer, trailer started swaying and the driver panicked and slammed on the brakes. Nobody injured but a giant learning experience.
as always everything is just my personal opinion.

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #7  
Best advise on trailer....is if you can find what you want, and at a price you like, buy it.

Trailer market is crazy....both prices and lead times.

But 24' wouldn't scare me at all for that tractor.

We have a 22' BP and it was a good match for a similar sized tractor and 6' hog. A 24' wouldn't be much different at all....especially with a BP, and give a little more wiggle room for load placement.

Goosenecks are a different animal....and I wouldn't advise it unless you have towed one or talked with someone that has. Cause I don't know what your towing is gonna be like? Where you are towing to and from. But most people's driveway approaches aren't wide enough to whip in a GN that long. But BP makes it easy

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #8  
I am in the market for a trailer to haul my tractor, DK40 HST, the longest the tractor will be is almost exactly 22ft with the loader and bush hog, although 98% of the time I wouldn't be hauling it with the bush hog, and with any other attachment I'm only between 17-19ft. I was ORIGINALLY looking for a 20ft 14k but the more I thought about it I figured I'd enjoy the room of a 22ft. I called a local dealer and they actually didn't have a 22 but they do have a 24ft in stock. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the trailer yet (to check for Quality of build) but what is your opinion on a 24ft bumper pull? I will be pulling it with a RAM 2500. It seems like a lot of trailer to me but then again I'd have no worry of needing extra space.
Another question would be, is anyone familiar with Currahee trailers? That is the brand of the trailer (24ft 14k) and this dealer has quoted me almost $600 less for this 24ft than another dealer had quoted me for a 22ft GPS brand trailer.
I know that better quality comes at higher prices and I haven't gone to look at either trailer (neither dealer is super close to me and of course they are in opposite directions from me), just curious if anyone on here was familiar with either the Currahee or GPS Brand(s)
Buy a 22 footer I purchased a 20 ft. now wish it was 22ft.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 422

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #9  
I have a 24 footer that I pull with a GMC 2500..18 stationary and 6 feet hydraulic dovetail.

I can also load onto the dovetail for space. It pulls great when balanced, follows my truck turns well, and a pleasure to pull.

It is 3k empty weight though so it isn't bouncing around when unloaded either.

Plenty of space for attachments, and additional whatnot.

If you have the space to store it, and like it.. You won't be disappointed in my opinion.

/ Trailer Purchasing Advise #10  
I'm in the same boat as the OP in that the 3510 with bucket/grapple and 6' bush hog is 22' long, so was looking for a 24' for positioning room, but not sure I really need that much, or need it all the time and can get away with a smaller trailer.. I know I can do a 10k, so thats already better on a BP.