4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication?

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #31  
As silly as this sounds, its been used for over 40 years. I don’t have any personal experience with the Juicy Fruit application, but there are several YouTube videos of others using it.
Old wives tale. We tried it in NC with zero results.

"A. This is another one of those urban legends that circulates on the Internet, although this one actually predates the Internet. Using Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit gum for mole (and gopher) control is one of those home remedies that has been passed down from our grandfathers (or grandmothers). Yes, you can find detailed instructions online as to how to apply the gum to moles’ tunnels…but that doesn’t mean it works! It doesn’t."

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #32  
Old wives tale. We tried it in NC with zero results.

"A. This is another one of those urban legends that circulates on the Internet, although this one actually predates the Internet. Using Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit gum for mole (and gopher) control is one of those home remedies that has been passed down from our grandfathers (or grandmothers). Yes, you can find detailed instructions online as to how to apply the gum to moles’ tunnels…but that doesn’t mean it works! It doesn’t."
I thought it sounded kinda silly. I figured someone would post, who has tried it, and confirm one way or the other.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #34  
The poison in spark-ignition engine exhaust is carbon monoxide (CO) which is scrubbed from road vehicles by the emissions system. Diesel engines produce negligible levels of CO. A small, wheeled generator will produce huge quantities of CO that will be very effective on anything that has hemoglobin in its blood including any mammals. Be safe and never, never run a genny anywhere near a dwelling or even upwind of it. CO2, such as dry ice, requires much greater quantities to be toxic.
This is incorrect. Gas engines do not have their CO "scrubbed" out by the emissions system. They still produce CO, and it will still kill you if you run a car's engine in an enclosed garage.

CO is nothing to play around with.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #35  
Actually, yes they do have their CO scrubbed by the catalytic converter which oxidizes it to CO2, and very effectively, with some of the oxygen coming from reduction of NO. These are called three-way catalysts and have been standard for decades now. The tailpipe gases are nearly free of oxygen, however, so it can displace air and kill things by this method, but it's not very potent because of the need for a lot of exhaust gas to get the oxygen concentration in the breathing air down at least below 10%. People have no problem with air down to 15%. But below 10% it gets pretty bad.

On your second point, yes, this does happen with modern cars, most infamously by people who mistakenly leave their car running in their attached garage. CO readily permeates drywall and it has killed people in their main residence rooms in this circumstance. However, the mechanism is oxygen depletion in the garage which makes it impossible for the closed-loop emissions system to add more oxygen by adding more air. In other words, there's not enough oxygen to make CO2, so CO gets made. Take that same car outdoors with its tailpipe poking into a hole in the closed garage (don't try this at home) and there would be little danger.

CO in the wild is deadly which is why portable gennys are so dangerous--they have no emissions systems and properly run with high CO concentrations in their exhaust. Those are nothing to play around with, and not just because of the CO. There's the whole gasoline thing, for example.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #36  
Actually, yes they do have their CO scrubbed by the catalytic converter which oxidizes it to CO2, and very effectively, with some of the oxygen coming from reduction of NO. These are called three-way catalysts and have been standard for decades now. The tailpipe gases are nearly free of oxygen, however, so it can displace air and kill things by this method, but it's not very potent because of the need for a lot of exhaust gas to get the oxygen concentration in the breathing air down at least below 10%. People have no problem with air down to 15%. But below 10% it gets pretty bad.

On your second point, yes, this does happen with modern cars, most infamously by people who mistakenly leave their car running in their attached garage. CO readily permeates drywall and it has killed people in their main residence rooms in this circumstance. However, the mechanism is oxygen depletion in the garage which makes it impossible for the closed-loop emissions system to add more oxygen by adding more air. In other words, there's not enough oxygen to make CO2, so CO gets made. Take that same car outdoors with its tailpipe poking into a hole in the closed garage (don't try this at home) and there would be little danger.

CO in the wild is deadly which is why portable gennys are so dangerous--they have no emissions systems and properly run with high CO concentrations in their exhaust. Those are nothing to play around with, and not just because of the CO. There's the whole gasoline thing, for example.
By all means, go try this.

To every one else, please don't do this.

I think I'm done here.

Good luck Branson owners.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #37  
Now, I knew when I started reading this thread, I would just have to comment. Growing up, we raised a few hogs and had a corn crib we kept the corn in. Rats would eat all the corn if not controlled. my brother and I used to set on the hill with a couple of 22 rifles and take turns shooting rats when they came out of their holes. One day we wasnt having much luck seeing any rats and we decided to burn them out. We took some gas and simply poured it down the holes and threw in a match. The explosion shook the ground, and a few flames flew out of the holes, which allowed us to find other openings we didnt know about. We decided to pour in some more gas, flooding each hole. This took a few minutes to accomplish. We lit a rag on a stick and threw it at the hole. The ground raised up and blew rats and fire out of the holes, many on fire. Of course, the rats on fire had to try and run away, even tho they didnt make it far, but one critter made it to the corn crib. Lit'l brother and I spent the next few minutes shoveling corn out of the crib to keep it from burning to the ground. We managed to save the crib, and most of the corn. The burnt stuff we hurriedly fed to the hogs so dad wouldnt find out what we had done. Never did see another rat at the crib after that.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #38  
Now, I knew when I started reading this thread, I would just have to comment. Growing up, we raised a few hogs and had a corn crib we kept the corn in. Rats would eat all the corn if not controlled. my brother and I used to set on the hill with a couple of 22 rifles and take turns shooting rats when they came out of their holes. One day we wasnt having much luck seeing any rats and we decided to burn them out. We took some gas and simply poured it down the holes and threw in a match. The explosion shook the ground, and a few flames flew out of the holes, which allowed us to find other openings we didnt know about. We decided to pour in some more gas, flooding each hole. This took a few minutes to accomplish. We lit a rag on a stick and threw it at the hole. The ground raised up and blew rats and fire out of the holes, many on fire. Of course, the rats on fire had to try and run away, even tho they didnt make it far, but one critter made it to the corn crib. Lit'l brother and I spent the next few minutes shoveling corn out of the crib to keep it from burning to the ground. We managed to save the crib, and most of the corn. The burnt stuff we hurriedly fed to the hogs so dad wouldnt find out what we had done. Never did see another rat at the crib after that.
So your pigs got fire-roasted corn? Very considerate!