Electric ZT

/ Electric ZT #41  
The newest Stihl saw I own is about 15 years old. The oldest is 45. They run forever with proper care. I have an 028, all magnesium cased saw that runs like new. Pulls a 24" bar with .404 chipper chain no issue and it sounds like a real saw, not the muffled sound the new Stihl's make. Stihl succumbed to the noise police years ago.

Not gonna buy a Stihl battery powered mostly plastic saw. I'll buy the EGO mostly plastic one and power it with one of the mower batteries, that I'll charge with the solar array I'm gonna out up behind the shop.

/ Electric ZT #42  
Think I will wait a coupe of year for world to get over "electric" bubble (like housing and internet) and things mature a little more....

Last edited:
   / Electric ZT #43  
somewhat off topic but we just bought an electric dirt bike and it amazes me. I have ridden for about 35 yrs and wasn't sure how i felt about these but got a chance to test one and instantly saw the draw. for me the biggest sell is the silence. I can now ride everyday from my house and nobody cares due to the lack of noise, previously it was 2 hr drive to a orv spot. as far as power equipment, yes the noise can be irritating but has become mostly accepted(except places in california). I was in commercial landscape maintenance for years and we ran most of our mowers for thousands of hours before repowering, that will not happen with electric yet, there will be motor/controller and battery issues. Yes there are benefits to no gas, no starting headaches and low maintenance, but electric is not zero maintenance. the one thing we have run into with the motorcycle is that nothing is built as strong, to save weight. what happens is we break things on the electric that i have never broke on a real dirt bike. I think this will happen on mowers, tractors, etc. as well. the one advantage to electric is almost anyone can design and build without of ton of r and d or tooling. It takes a lot less to build something using semi stock motors and controllers vs the engineering required to build a more efficient engine. In addition, since tesla has made most of their tech open source, companies are quickly improving on readily available designs. I do think things will change very quickly in the next few years(2-5, not 10) eventually everything will be electric or hydrogen but only when the reasons truly make sense. silence doesn't matter in power equipment really, durability is unproven and cost is not even close yet. I will be waiting for better equipment, but i will probably sell my gas dirt bikes first!

/ Electric ZT #44  
Since some of you brought up using EGO batteries in all your equipment, one thing to consider is the weight.
I use 5.0 A/hr. batteries in all my handheld tools...not too heavy and balance out the weight of the tool.
The ZT mower uses 7.5 A/hr. or 10 A/hr. batteries which are considerably heavier than the 5.0 A/hr. batteries and probably too heavy for hand held tools such as a string trimmer, chainsaw or pole saw.
The warranty for residential use is 3 years...life of the battery may be considerably more.

/ Electric ZT #45  
I would have to test an electric ZT on my 3 acres I mow before I would ever contemplating buying one.

/ Electric ZT #46  
I did or that was the plan when I buy some of them which I don't own now. If they are that heavy, I'll just buy 2 of the lower amp hour packs. The mower don't differentiate between capacity on recharge anyway.

I like the fact that the mower only comes with 4 ports but has 6 total.

My neighbors across the road will have a hard time figuring out how I'm mowing the yard with a noiseless mower (other than blade noise). I bet they will be puzzled.

/ Electric ZT #49  
No longer own any small gas engines. Have the Ryobi ZT480e competitor to the EGO. The EGO has battery flexibility. The Ryobi uses 4 twelve volt lead acid batteries.

It would do 2 acres. I do a little bit more than 1/2 acre on 15-30% charge, depending on how much I fool around with it. Don't know why you'd continually mow 2 acres. Just make trails through most of it and knock the rest down once/yr or once every other year with a bush hog.

/ Electric ZT #50  
Would anyone buy this, I know no way I would, CAN$7,000 which works out to US$5,600 . Supposed to be able to mow 2 acres on a charge.
Probably all downhill, 1/2" high grass, 100lb operator on dry ground with a tailwind............Mike

View attachment 741842

Would anyone buy this, I know no way I would, CAN$7,000 which works out to US$5,600 . Supposed to be able to mow 2 acres on a charge.
Probably all downhill, 1/2" high grass, 100lb operator on dry ground with a tailwind............Mike

View attachment 741842
Not a chance. Folks seems to forget the warnings they blasted us with not many years ago but have since stopped about cell phones. Not to have them near your head, not in shirt pockets. Not on the headboard when sleeping. But now the tree huggers and electric cars are coming more into mainstream the warnings about electromagnet radiation has stopped. I still enjoy Eddy and the twins and do not want cancer there