Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #81  
I tried almost everything. Nothing would keep those freakin miserable mangy deer from eating my landscaping. I finally put up electric fence with solar chargers.
We shall see if it works.
Your deer have the mange?? WOW.. :p

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #82  
Don't know if it's been mentioned, joined this thread late. Irish Spring Soap (original scent). We drill a hole through a bar and hang them from trees and bushes at "deer nose height" with a zip tie. It works.
Re: Irish Spring soap.

I shave it, bag it in window screen material and create a small plastic 'roof' to deflect rain.
That way my soap bags last a very long time.
Shaved increases the aroma dispersal.

LOL, a botanist once suggested that I drink lots of fermented suds and relief my self in and around my plantings and that would deter deer. Human odors/aromas seems to be a major deterrent.

Last edited:
   / Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #83  
I have never been able to have a garden due to deer. This year I put up the low double run of electric fensing and I haven't hasd a single animal in my garden. I really had my doubts but so far so good.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #84  
I'm still looking for a solution to deer in the apple orchard. None for 3 years after the new 6 ft fence. Then they discovered they could jump the fence.

But the immediate problem is something new under this old farmhouse that sounds like it is chewing up through the floor and into the walls. Loudly, crunching lumber. Starting at 2am. Nightly.

But there isn't any visible damage. So I got a Wyze webcam to see what is going on.

There's a circus under there every night! The camera shows everybody passing through: Skunk. Possum. Raccoon. Neighbor's cat. Bobcat. Fox, two of them. In daytime the foxes again, birds, and a housecat we've never seen before. Everything we see outdoors visits except coyote and deer.

Turns out the nightly racket is raccoons scraping the floor joists. Apparently, to bring down spiderwebs to eat whatever the web trapped.

What the heck will deter the visitors? There are low decks around 3 sides so wire mesh would have to be installed from the inner side of the foundation, a nightmare with the low headspace. And a noisy alarm would be as much nuisance as we have now. So some deterrent will be my first attack. Maybe Irish Spring?
I put Cayenne down gopher holes, but that would be nasty to crawl in if I later need to go under there.

Ideas?

D03F271F3518_1650430594073rRaconScrapingJoist.jpg

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #85  
I'm still looking for a solution to deer in the apple orchard. None for 3 years after the new 6 ft fence. Then they discovered they could jump the fence.

But the immediate problem is something new under this old farmhouse that sounds like it is chewing up through the floor and into the walls. Loudly, crunching lumber. Starting at 2am. Nightly.

But there isn't any visible damage. So I got a Wyze webcam to see what is going on.

There's a circus under there every night! The camera shows everybody passing through: Skunk. Possum. Raccoon. Neighbor's cat. Bobcat. Fox, two of them. In daytime the foxes again, birds, and a housecat we've never seen before. Everything we see outdoors visits except coyote and deer.

Turns out the nightly racket is raccoons scraping the floor joists. Apparently, to bring down spiderwebs to eat whatever the web trapped.

What the heck will deter the visitors? There are low decks around 3 sides so wire mesh would have to be installed from the inner side of the foundation, a nightmare with the low headspace. And a noisy alarm would be as much nuisance as we have now. So some deterrent will be my first attack. Maybe Irish Spring?
I put Cayenne down gopher holes, but that would be nasty to crawl in if I later need to go under there.

Ideas?

View attachment 744277
Stupid question from flyover country. Why isn’t the crawl space sealed? Even the spiders can’t access my crawl space.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #86  
Electric fence wire, etc. to keep things out of the crawl space.

Wrap it around the outside and maybe here and there inside, too. Turn it off if you need to go under.

Bruce

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #87  
Stupid question from flyover country. Why isn’t the crawl space sealed? Even the spiders can’t access my crawl space.
Just stupid original construction!

This simple farmhouse is only 700 sq ft now, after the first addition a century ago which was an indoor bathroom, then later the extensions my family added at each end.

It was built on mudsills, redwood timbers laid on the earth. After Dad inherited it, he (and I helped as a little kid) replaced the rotted mudsills with the post & pier foundation in the photo. I think that included redwood plank skirts that originally went down to ground level. As visible now behind the racoon, animals have dug out and made access between every pier now, 70 years later. There's a large deck beyond that visible foundation so there's no access from the outer side.

Wire mesh (for ventilation) all around the inside of the foundation would be the proper repair - but if I can use some kind of repellent this will avoid that project. When I was a journeyman Carpenter I did a lot of stuff like that. Old now. Maybe I can hire some kid to crawl in there.

Plenty of ventilation under the house is good practice here, with the humidity of 10 miles inland from the ocean. Plenty of morning ground fog. And note no insulation under the floor! Freezing weather is rare, maybe every 5 years, so lightweight construction was typical for an inexpensive farmhouse. But modern code would require insulation there.

In summary this little farmhouse was built cheap and simple to start with. Then now with 60+ years of just intermittent second-home visits, there's little incentive to bring it up to modern code. If I can get the critters under there to not bother us then Mission Accomplished.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #88  
Electric fence wire, etc. to keep things out of the crawl space.

Wrap it around the outside and maybe here and there inside, too. Turn it off if you need to go under.

Bruce
Good chance I'll end up with that solution!

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #89  
I was under the impression that "food plots" were meant to ATTRACT deer.

Live and learn I say.

There is a problem with deer in my vegetable gardens. Wire fencing is a work around. But GOOD NEWS! The neighbor reported seeing a MOUNTAIN LION in our area. That would change things! I "thought I saw a tail of one (catamount) years ago. They tell me all the big cats are gone. But I've got pics of paw prints that show else wise. ;-)

Cats don't eat vegetables, do they?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #90  
My wife saw a cougar crossing the road on her way home one day and the neighbor has a picture of one eating one of his chickens, but the Fish & Game folks said there were no cougars in the area!