Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #61  
I've mentioned it before but I'm told there is a product called Millorganite that is a soil amendment, maybe fertilizer?

In school we toured the Milwaukee waster water treatment plant and there I was told Millorganite is made from people....people's waste.

Folks swear it keeps the deer away?
It's a slow release fertilizer has nitrogen Its pricey 15+ for 50lbs and I've been unable to find it in bulk unsure if it deters Deer when I lived in Wi everyone used it for lawn and gardens Made on Jones island wwtp in Milwaukee been around for decades and I believe it's considered organic.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #62  
I have a fence around my garden area that seems to keep them at bay, its the birds stealing all my berries..
You can try placing netting

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #63  
I am dead in the middle of this issue and my summation from these 7 pages is the only thing that rally works is an 8' fence with electrified barb on the top run. Preferrably to 240 VAC. :ROFLMAO:

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #64  
I'll be fencing in a couple of acres this summer. I'll keep you guys posted.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #65  
In Italy, farmers have motion detectors that activate sound devices of predators and other distressful noises to prevent deer in their fields.

Should the deer become accustom to the devices, it lowers their guard down so as real predator do take them out. It's a win-win either way.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #68  
You can try placing netting
I try to grow enough so as there is enough to share... but if they keep it up maybe... I have enough blueberries I could never eat them all.. but only 3 large blackberry plants, I may try covering those.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #69  
I know it's a bit cold for gardening but I just saw this thread. The thing that's works great for me is the motion activated sprinkler. The one I use is called scarecrow. Powered by a single little 9v battery. Hooked up to your hose, works great day or night. You can even daisy chain them together and it is a hoot to watch the dear scatter. It even changes the timing on the activation. These are not fan type sprinklers, but the kind that go

Another good thing is the driveway alert from harbor freight and a paintball gun :) Your neighbors will wonder about the green deer....after a few times they will go and munch on someone else's garden.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #70  
In past years, I lost most everything to deer or other critters. To the point it really wasn't worth planting anything. I may try again next year now that I have a bunch of new fruit trees and need to try to protect them. Plus, I need to try to produce a food crop for other reasons.

I've heard and read a few things, but I'm asking about experiences in what others have tried. Some say a deer won't jump anything it can't see over. They say to plant taller crops like corn or sunflowers. Others say an electric fence wire about nose high will deter them with another a few inches above ground to deter smaller ground animals. Somebody even said to hang bags of human hair clippings since the deer can smell our scent and will avoid it. I don't know if I buy any of those ideas. Traditional fencing is all but useless for raccoons, squirrels and anything else that can climb.

Before I go spending a couple of hundred dollars on a solar charger, t-posts and wire, what others ideas can TBNers suggest?

I was planning on trying a few rows of corn anyways, so I could try to use that as a perimeter around the fruit trees. I also have to mow around the area and between the trees, so I have to allow for that.

Then there are the chemical deterrents found in stores, but they're not cheap and don't last long.
I tried many things over a couple of years to protect my orchard and garden from deer: motion lights and sprinklers, 4 different electric fence designs, barking dogs, etc… Nothing worked. Then I got some drill stem pipe for corners; made welded braces sunk in concrete, and pounded 10’ t-posts. Two 4’ rolls of woven wire make an 8’ fence. I buried chicken wire 1’ deep and extending 2’ above ground to keep rabbits out. No more deer or rabbit issues in the orchard/garden. Been over 6 years now with deer tracks outside the fence, but nothing has defeated the fence. Now about those birds….