JD with AWS need to remove transaxle

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #1  

nbpt100

Tractor
John Deere x304
I have a JD X304 with All Wheel Steering. I am going to replace the bad transaxle. Can anyone who has done this provide some guidance on what I need to look for and do i need to follow the JD repair manual exactly? The manual has you removing the fenders, gas tank, steering wheel, King pins in the u-joints. The U-Joints have a torque of 350 ft-Lbs. This seems excessively high. Is that maybe a typo? I have read some unclear posts where people say they have taken short cuts but the posts are not very clear and old.

Any guidance from someone who has done this is appreciated. Thanks

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #2  
How complete of a transaxle are you buying for a replacement? I have seen them with the u-joints installed so that would not be a problem.

My experience with working on my X540 and older 425, 445 removing seat, fenders, fuel tank is required to gain access to the transaxle and linkage. None of these were AWS though.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle
I am getting just the transaxle so I need to transfer all other components. I am not sure if I have to remove the seat, fenders and gas tank. It may be helpful but I wont do it if I can disconnect all linkages with out doing it. It is the AWS that realy complicates this. That is where I am looking especially for help.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #4  
I've not done a transaxle replacement on an AWS. I would think that your life will be much easier to remove the fender deck though. The procedure is quite simple really and it will open the chassis up so you can work. The seat can stay on the body. Pedals off, HOC knob off, unhook the seat harness, undo the few fasteners and it's off. If it were me, I'd probably support the chassis from the top so you can have room to handle the heavy cast parts. By the looks of things you have the manual.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #5  
My son replaced the transaxle on his X749 which is a much larger machine and removing fender assembly, fuel tank was required to access the hydraulic lines and linkage. His is also 4WD so adds a few more parts. Yes AWS also adds more items but I believe all of these are accessible from underneath.

I am trying to understand how to remove the trans axle from the carrier. It appears you have to remove the king pins on the u-joints. I do not see any way around it.

I may choose to remove fender deck and gas tank. At this point It Does not seem like a lot of extra work considering what it can save.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #7  
If like my sons X749 and my X540 four bolts hold the transaxle to the frame. Is frame what you are calling carrier?

your choice on trying to save work by not removing fuel tank and fenders

If like my sons X749 and my X540 four bolts hold the transaxle to the frame. Is frame what you are calling carrier?

your choice on trying to save work by not removing fuel tank and fenders
The carrier is the large black metal piece joining the two steering knuckles in the pic below. It all has to come off and transferred to the new transaxle.

1651711451539.png
1651711451539.png

Last edited:
   / JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #9  
I have no clue on how those carriers are removed. That looks significantly different than the transaxle on the X749.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #10  
Unhook the steering, buzz the two big pins out , and it should all slide out w/ the U joint assy. Then to the carrier I'd think. Hopefully the splines were lubed. The roller bearing will likely drop out the bottom , so just keep track of it.