/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #1  

mowniacal

I am considering the new Mahindra 5145 (45 HP). I am concerned about future availability of parts. I got burned buying a MF 451 years ago that was made in Brazil (I didn't know) and now it is very hard to find parts for it. The Massey is a separate story, but now I am worried about getting parts some day for this foreign brand. Is discontinued parts an issue for even JD, New Holland, etc.? I would like any advice on this Mahindra model (no reviews here yet), Mahindra in general, and brands in general in this category, especially as it pertains to reliability and future parts availability.

If money was no object (not that it's not), what new tractor would you buy in the 45 HP PTO class? I am mostly mowing in an orchard, so a cab and even a sun shade is out due to tree limbs. Also, I want to get a grapple out front, so recommendations there are welcome too. While looking at the Mahindra, I noticed that they offer a grapple, but some online said it was rather light duty -- which is all I probably need, mostly picking up piles of fallen limbs -- but is there a hands-down "get this one" recommendation?

Any advice on any/all of the above would be greatly appreciated. I thought my Massey would be a once in a lifetime purchase, and I have kept it like a baby, but electrical failures got to it and I can't find parts anywhere (and I've looked everywhere) -- so this will be another once in a lifetime purchase for me and I don't want any regrets, and am willing to pay extra for that outcome.

Thank you!

Last edited:
   / Need Suggestions for 45 HP #2  
I am considering the new Mahindra 5145 (45 HP). I am concerned about future availability of parts. I got burned buying a MF 451 years ago that was made in Brazil (I didn't know) and now it is very hard to find parts for it. The Massey is a separate story, but now I am worried about getting parts some day for this foreign brand. Is discontinued parts an issue for even JD, New Holland, etc.? I would like any advice on this Mahindra model (no reviews here yet), Mahindra in general, and brands in general in this category, especially as it pertains to reliability and future parts availability. If money was no object (not that it's not), what new tractor would you buy with a 45 HP PTO? I am mostly mowing in an orchard, so a cab and even a sun shade is out due to tree limbs. Also, I want to get a grapple out front, so recommendations there are welcome too. While looking at the Mahindra 5145, I noticed that they hava a grapple too, but some said it was rather light duty Iwhich is all I need anyway). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I thought my Massey would be a once in a lifetime purchase, and I have kept it like a baby, but electrical failures got to it and I can't find parts anywhere (and I've looked everywhere) -- so this will be another once in a lifetime purchase for me and I don't want any regrets, and am willing to pay extra for that outcome. Thank you!
In that hp range: Kubota L-4701

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #3  
Their is a thread on here about the new mahindra 51 series tractors , Most all of the tractors today era foreign made and parts can be hard to get, I have 2 mahindras and have been happy with both, Over 1500 hrs total .

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #4  
If you go to the mahindra owning and operating forum on here you will find lots of information.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #5  
I am considering the new Mahindra 5145 (45 HP). I am concerned about future availability of parts. I got burned buying a MF 451 years ago that was made in Brazil (I didn't know) and now it is very hard to find parts for it. The Massey is a separate story, but now I am worried about getting parts some day for this foreign brand. Is discontinued parts an issue for even JD, New Holland, etc.? I would like any advice on this Mahindra model (no reviews here yet), Mahindra in general, and brands in general in this category, especially as it pertains to reliability and future parts availability.

If money was no object (not that it's not), what new tractor would you buy in the 45 HP PTO class? I am mostly mowing in an orchard, so a cab and even a sun shade is out due to tree limbs. Also, I want to get a grapple out front, so recommendations there are welcome too. While looking at the Mahindra, I noticed that they offer a grapple, but some online said it was rather light duty -- which is all I probably need, mostly picking up piles of fallen limbs -- but is there a hands-down "get this one" recommendation?

Any advice on any/all of the above would be greatly appreciated. I thought my Massey would be a once in a lifetime purchase, and I have kept it like a baby, but electrical failures got to it and I can't find parts anywhere (and I've looked everywhere) -- so this will be another once in a lifetime purchase for me and I don't want any regrets, and am willing to pay extra for that outcome.

Thank you!
A mahindra would be a great choice they’re reliable and I see them all the time around where I live

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #6  
If future parts availability is a prime concern, and price isn't, then I'd get a Kubota L4760. Kubota is unlikely to go away and builds their own tractors. But even so, five years ago when I had a mid 90's Kubota, some parts were NLA from Kubota and were hard to find. And that was for a very common model.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP
Thanks all. Not to sound too naive, but I wish manufacturers would standardize on their parts more. What I mean is I need a tachometer assy (which includes the hour meter and warning lights in the same assy) and, for my tractor model, there are three different part numbers, depending on the tractor's features/options, and that's different from other models by the same mfg. Something in that tach assy is shorted, and it is bringing down the tractor's supply voltage to below what is necessary to charge the battery. It started when the regulator inside the alternator went bad. I searched forever for an alternator (discontinued, of course) and finally found one I could use. But the bad regulator allowed the votages to go way high, like 25-35v, which fried something downstream, which I traced to that tach assy. Now I can't find that. Sorry, just ranting at this point. I do appreciate the feedback on Mahindra and eric's suggestion about Kubota.

Any recommendation on a quick connect / skid steer attach grapple with full upper and lower jaws?

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #8  
Everything Attachment's Wicked grapples are good. My dual lid model is still perfectly straight and true after a lot of heavy lifts.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #9  
I had a john Deere 1520 tractor (1969 model). They still had parts. Expensive but still had them. If you are worried about part availability, John Deere might be the way to go.

/ Need Suggestions for 45 HP #10  
No silver bullet here. Kubota should have parts around for decades, but maybe 30 years…not 40 or 50. Will you be alive in 40 years? I wont lol!

Deere is pretty well known for parts availability, but they have gone 50 directions with manufacturing (tractors built all over the world depending on model/year) so that may be getting harder with new machines.

Branson is a no frills, minimal electronics machine and my choice if you really want to wrench every part of your own equipment. I cant speak to parts availability.

LS is doing their best to establish a market in the US (since 2010) but they are still very low on the market share ladder.