Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #91  
There are a few people that I would loan stuff to but not many. Your tilling price is to high. What’s he want, you to pay him next time.
This is what gets me on this, how is $0 to high? He actually thinks he paid maybe. I would have replied with: "how is no payment too high"?

/ Would You Loan It Out?
This is what gets me on this, how is $0 to high? He actually thinks he paid maybe. I would have replied with: "how is no payment too high"?
Yeah, When he dropped that bomb, I was a bit dumbfounded. He caught me off guard and I was speechless. I think I said something like "Ok... whatever." and walked away, leaving him to hook it up himself (I was actually going to help, but decided to go back to my other task.)

/ Would You Loan It Out? #93  
Glad you got it back.

No, I would not loan anything out. Too much to go wrong. Things wear out or break fast enough using them yourself, let along by someone who doesn't have a cent in it or even know what to do with it.

I do not loan things, I have offered to do things for others to be neighborly.

Agree with removing tractor end of PTO shaft and locking shaft up to prevent "borrowing" when you aren't around.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #94  
I’ve loaned out two things and always wondered about them when I got them back. One was a bicycle when I was in college. It came back with a wobbly rear rim. When I was I college $20 meant a lot to me. The other was a chainsaw. I used it for years with it not running right, I finally ended up rebuilding it it for a badly scored piston. In both cases I don’t thing the person who borrowed them damaged them but it always nagged me that maybe they did.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #95  
I agree, I’d also make sure you secure it. Maybe lock it up with one of these.
2993FE63-39B8-4817-9F91-FE1F7A1F94EA.jpeg

/ Would You Loan It Out? #96  
I’ve loaned out two things and always wondered about them when I got them back. One was a bicycle when I was in college. It came back with a wobbly rear rim. When I was I college $20 meant a lot to me. The other was a chainsaw. I used it for years with it not running right, I finally ended up rebuilding it it for a badly scored piston. In both cases I don’t thing the person who borrowed them damaged them but it always nagged me that maybe they did.
I especially would not lend a 2-cycle tool out and I would not put my 2-cycle gas in someone elses saw or whatever else. Be my luck I would get stuck with a rebuild job.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #97  
I especially would not lend a 2-cycle tool out and I would not put my 2-cycle gas in someone elses saw or whatever else. Be my luck I would get stuck with a rebuild job.
I waited nearly 6 months for a contractor I hired, to install rip-rap on a a few hundred feet of deep creek bank. He needed to clear scrub vegetation, weeds and small saplings, and couldn't get his chain saw to run. He told his teenage helper to start swinging a weed sickle, which he did for a while, but wasn't making much progress.

I asked him what he was going to do, and his answer was to probably come back another time. (???). So I offered to loan him my chainsaw and brush-cutter, both of which I bought new more than 25 years ago, always take proper care of, and they have never failed me.

I filled them with my Amsoil 2 stoke mix (light blue), and fired them right up. They used them for most of the morning, then took a lunch break. I saw the young lad fill the tanks from their 5 gal gas can, and they started using them. Then I saw them using the sickle again, so I went out to see what was going on.

Contractor said your saws aren't working. Asked why, and he shrugged it off, and said their probably too old. I said, they might be old, but they run just fine (both were Homelite 2 stroke saws).

Turns out, he topped them off with straight gas, not 2 stroke, and said their your saws; it's not my problem". He never gave me even a dollar off his more than $18,000 bill.

Both engines were seized. Scored cylinder walls, broken ring and scored pistons. Both saws trashed, and I never even got a thank you, or a sorry about the saws.

Some people are just takers. There is only one person, a good friend and retired jet engine mechanic, who I will load tools or equipment to. Otherwise, no.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #99  
So let's see... Post count is 48 NO and 0 Yes :unsure: I think i am seeing a pattern here. Your description of last year when he wouldn't even give you the whopping $50 said it all. No. Nothing. Never. Not even your exhaled CO2.
I totally agree with the above. I would venture a guess that he will never be your friend and will only be a "taker" as long as you have a relationship with him. Drive your tractor over to his place and get your tiller for "some work that needs to be done at your place immediately."

/ Would You Loan It Out? #100  
A side post... If acetylene is unstable at more than 15 psi why do regulators allow higher settings. The regulator's gauge have red lines at 15 psi.

Here's the connection, a friend asked to borrow my oxy/acetylene kit. He had several stuck fasteners. When I asked if he was familiar with using a torch to cut... A negative answer prompted me to do it for him.

In a similar vein, allowing a "wanna be" to use a potentially dangerous attachment as a tiller is to be regretted in a court room or hospital.