Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?

UPDATE!: I got it back!

Last edited:
   / Would You Loan It Out? #2  
Not only no but hell no. He sounds like a complete tool...maybe a whole tool bag.

FWIW I don't loan out anything that has more than two moving parts. But I also spend a lot of time doing stuff for and with neighbors. It's just not worth hurt feelings or debt between friends in my opinion to loan anything you're not willing to loose. But he doesn't sound like a neighbor, he sounds like a taker.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #5  
I DO NOT loan out ANYTHING. Well - take that back. I have a very heavy pry bar that I would loan out. Otherwise - NOTHING - NOTHING.

And because my homeowners insurance only covers on my property - I DO NOT go off property. PERIOD.

As sea2summit said - your neighbor is a TAKER. Get your tiller back - hopefully in good shape - feel lucky.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #6  
Another vote for NO .

Should have bought the attachments he needed along with the tractor 🚜.

He’s a rookie with no practical experience .

Also say something about last years unpaid bill .

Probably been getting let off the hook 🪝 his whole life .

Why let him continue that way ?

Going rate for a rental unit around here is 150 a day .

Last edited:
   / Would You Loan It Out? #7  
If your neighbor thinks your "rates" are too high - tell him to go buy his own tiller. I'd also stay away from his property. He sounds like the type to claim "damage" when you are there doing him a favor.

He says he can't afford a tiller - tell him to buy a well fitting shovel.

Last edited:
   / Would You Loan It Out? #8  
Not only no but hell no. He sounds like a complete tool...maybe a whole tool bag.

FWIW I don't loan out anything that has more than two moving parts. But I also spend a lot of time doing stuff for and with neighbors. It's just not worth hurt feelings or debt between friends in my opinion to loan anything you're not willing to loose. But he doesn't sound like a neighbor, he sounds like a taker.
We used to call people like this leaches, not a popular term now days.

Hope you get the tiller back, and in one piece.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #10  
I would also vote for no. A close friend would be a different story. Mark this one as lesson learned.

What you should do is "remember" that you have an area you need to get tilled and then "forget" to let him know when you get done. Then, when he presses, tell him you would be more comfortable with doing it for him if he is really needing something done.