Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #191  
Well since everyone is taking the expected stance of HELL NO, I guess I will be positive and say, don't worry about it.

He's running the tiller slowly, because he has to. This won't hurt your tiller. Why worry about running it through grassy soil? It's made to do that. His weak little tractor won't hurt it unless he has some severe operator error.

But! Come up with a reason you need to till something and go get it back ASAP.
Running it through an area that is unknown is a great way to find big rocks that can injure the chaincase and certainly bend the tines.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #192  
This has to be some kind of record. In 52 hours or so there have been 191 comments. You think maybe this hit a nerve with ALL of us who have loaned stuff in the past !?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #193  
One thing I like to do when I am willing to help somebody is to try and determine if the person would help me if the situation were reversed. The fact that he stiffed you fifty bucks when you did the work for him tells me that he's not interested in helping you if the situation were reversed. So this is a lesson learned and it's an easy 'no' the next time he asks for something like this. Let him rent.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #194  
that trailer does not depend on a pto shaft being trimmed to a specific length. gearboxes are expensive.
I borrow trailers, tractors,skid steers, trucks of friends often. I also do a lot of stuff for them for free. all balances out.
I don't borrow their pto driven implements nor do mine go on their equipment.
cause that tiller was trimmed for org posters tractor.
True story on the PTO lengths.
I have a wheeled PTO driven seed/fertilizer spreader.

family member needed it for their large fields.

I was busy using my tractor and they had inherited Dad's restored JD model R and we all thought it should work.

They picked up the spreader and they got the job of fertilizing done, but said the R started making a bunch of grinding sounds with the PTO running the spreader.

Driveshaft must have been just a bit to long and my guess was when turning it was jamming the shaft against the PTO support bearings.

The R still runs- but if they plan to run the PTO the tractor will need some bearings and maybe some other parts replaced.

I have used the spreader since then and it didn't seem to affect it's bearings.

My worry as posted before is that this borrower sounds like the type that would blame the guy he borrowed the implement from, if he damages his new tractor.

I would not blame Branson either if they denied coverage for a similar outcome as the families Model Rs damaged PTO
Also I really doubt Branson would approve of running that big of tiller on that size model.

Heck you may be doing this person a favor by no longer allowing your tiller to be mounted up to his as it is set up for your tractor.

Last edited:
   / Would You Loan It Out? #195  
Yep... I'm too nice. :confused:

Don't get me wrong. I am a very friendly person and help out my closer neighbors all the time. They borrow all sorts of things, and in return, I borrow their things, services, etc. It's give and take. This guy seems to only take. He is a rookie, and I knew that when I saw him hooking up his tiny tractor to my large tiller. But I couldn't morally stop him after saying yes. I shouldn't have said yes. When (not if) I get my tiller back, it will be the last time he borrows it.

I am afraid that he will damage it. And if he does, I will pester him about repairs, which will likely fall on deaf ears.

I have spread the word about him to my neighbors. Some of which have no idea who he is.
The worst part is that your wife was right....again, lol.

Don't take it hard; you were trying to help a guy. Any bad acts/karma are on him, not you.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #196  
A guy who was like a brother to me asked to borrow my tractor and saw rig to do firewood for his home. He never checked the oil and ran it 2 plus quarts low and spun a rod bearing. Engine rebuild #1---my nickle. A second friend borrowed another tractor from me to grade and level his long driveway; he never noticed a water leak that developed and fried the engine. Rebuild #2, my nickle. When a third friend years later asked to borrow that same tractor, I said "Only if I go with it and you fill the fuel tank when we are done". Job done, tank full, tractor in good shape with no necessity of rebuild! I'm a slow learner, but I finally learned!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #197  
I would also vote for not loaning, learned my lesson the hard way, and with his attitude I would never offer to do it for him. He sounds like the type that if something did happen he would try and hold you responsible.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #198  
I would like to loan my tractor to my neighbor, he really needs a tractor. But he is not a tractor person and I do not want him to hurt himself.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #199  
I too have had loaned equipment wrecked, and seen plenty wrecked that friends and family had loaned. One was a sander my brother in law had given to me. I loaned it back to him and he wrecked it. No apology, comment or anything.
There are 3 people I do trust to loan some things to. My Dad, my best friend, and my step-Dad, with one exception. I won't loan my chainsaw to my step-dad, he doesn't know how to run one safely. Rarely do I even loan things to my sons (mostly because I end up there and helping anyway)
Anyone else that wants to use my stuff, gets me, using my own stuff, or nothing.