240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual

/ 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Title says it all, looking ffor 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual

/ 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual #2  
Can you be a little more specific. Is that a L240, LT240 or ?

What engine does it have and what year of manufacture ?

Richard

/ 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual
Can you be a little more specific. Is that a L240, LT240 or ?

What engine does it have and what year of manufacture ?

Richard

I just know it as a "Garden Tractor" of the "240, 245, 260, 265, 285 & 320 Lawn and Garden Tractor" variety.

It has the Kawasaki FC420v, gear trans, and a now iffy electric clutch (aka "PTO"?).

Tag says 240 -TRACTOR-46 EDIT 1988 according to serial number.

I used to have the full service manual, but left it with the machine when I sold the old place. Turns out the new guy bought a zero turn and let met buy it back, cheap. He can't find the manuals apparently.

Last edited:
   / 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual #4  
Did a lot of searching on the internet for a wiring diagram. Could not find a readable one for free. Lots of manuals for sale.

My suggestion, start following the wire to the PTO clutch from the switch. You can use a push tack to get into the insulation and make contact with the wire inside. I am assuming that you know how to use a volt meter.

Richard

Did a lot of searching on the internet for a wiring diagram. Could not find a readable one for free. Lots of manuals for sale.

My suggestion, start following the wire to the PTO clutch from the switch. You can use a push tack to get into the insulation and make contact with the wire inside. I am assuming that you know how to use a volt meter.

Richard

Yep, that was pretty much what I found. Thanks for the effort. I don't really mind buying one, but I know I had one. Soon as I do, the guy is gonna call and say he found it.

Meter is not a problem. Got lots of them. Finding where to measure what is the issue. Was hoping to avoid wire following, especially on this model as most of it is pretty much hidden without some disassembly of sheet metal, etc. Troubleshooting these things, solo, can be a PITA, as operator interlocks, switch positions, etc. can cause frustration. Well, it is what it is.

Turns out it is an intermittent problem. I actually got some mowing done yesterday, after replacing the switch. Then it quit. After a bit, not sure how long, it engaged when I tried it, disengaged, backed up to mow a bit more, the, yep, would not engage.

Yep, that was pretty much what I found. Thanks for the effort. I don't really mind buying one, but I know I had one. Soon as I do, the guy is gonna call and say he found it.

Meter is not a problem. Got lots of them. Finding where to measure what is the issue. Was hoping to avoid wire following, especially on this model as most of it is pretty much hidden without some disassembly of sheet metal, etc. Troubleshooting these things, solo, can be a PITA, as operator interlocks, switch positions, etc. can cause frustration. Well, it is what it is.

Turns out it is an intermittent problem. I actually got some mowing done yesterday, after replacing the switch. Then it quit. After a bit, not sure how long, it engaged when I tried it, disengaged, backed up to mow a bit more, the, yep, would not engage.

When I said I replaced the switch, I meant put back the old one after checking it. The ignition switch was kind of "loose" on the key and had interesting corrosion on the connector rivets.

On Ebay I found the "PTO" switch, ignition switch and relays. Ordered one of each and replaced the ignition and PTO switch and is seems to be working fine now.

I did not replace the relay, as I could not easily determine which one was for the PTO, without a schematic or being able to follow wires easily.

/ 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual #7  
OK good deal, glad you got it working again.

/ 240 garden tractor electrical schematic/service manual #8  
glad you got it fixed, but wanted to put this out incase it helps someone down the road

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.30.44 AM.png