Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #231  
In my humble opinion,
Any neighbor worth loaning a tool to is worth operating the tool for!
That is my policy. I have had a lot of good neighbors and a lot of tools.
I have kept good neighbors good by doing the work for them.
I have kept bad neighbors good by only using this rule. Often bad neighbors havre "other plans" for what they really intend to do with your tool.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #232  
You might consider giving the tiller to your wife. Then you can simply respond that you don't have a tiller and anyone wanting to borrow it will have to check with her.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #233  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed.
That's a far as I read, as I figured you already did two stupid things right there, so there was no need to see it go any further down hill!!

Live and learn...

SR

/ Would You Loan It Out? #234  
I gave my mom a key to my place, in case she needed a place to rest or cool off when she came into town to see the doctor.

Somehow the younger brother ended up with my key. He would come by and borrow tools, when I wasn’t home.

He borrowed my Bosch power plane to trim doors at Mom’s house. It didn't come home. I asked him a few times. And he didn’t bring it back. I needed it for a project, so I bought a new one.

He was really pissed when he opened his Christmas present, and discovered that all the Bosche box contained was, the plastic case, and a few parts for the plane he hadn’t returned. He had the tool, so I gave him the case, and accessories which went with it for Christmas, and quit worrying about him ever giving it back.

After I left Moms to go hme he had a temper tantrum about me being an azzhat, for doing it. The big sisters sat him down and had a talk with him.

He hasn’t just taken my things since.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #238  
I once loaned my CUT to an employee under condition he trailered it.
Weeks later after pleading for its return I heard a screaming tractor and gear meshing as he was driving it back.
He was immediately on the black list.
Same guy would fill his tool bag B4 days end and also have to fill it next morning.
Nice and honest!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #240  
Lot's of people have a hard time saying "No". It is a good skill to learn. Some have recommended you come up with a nice lie to say no. I say flat out tell him "NO" . and make sure he understands that you are not loaning anything out to him again. it may be uncomfortable but it will be worth the discomfort.

You are lucky you got your tiller back.