Zero turn mower advice

/ Zero turn mower advice #1  

xtal01

Tractor
none
My old cub cadet (LT1050 lawn tractor) has seen better days.

I have 2 1/2 - 3 acres to cut.

It takes me about 5 hours.

I borrowed a Kubota ZD21 from the neighbor (farmer) .. 20 year old diesel commercial unit ...

WOW ... 2 hours and done!

SO ... I started looking.

Looks like I can get a decent residential unit (say a toro with a 60 " deck) for about $6K to $8K ...OUCH!

Or ... I can get a 20 year old ZD21 for about the same price (I see one out there for $5400, 950 hours).

And I see a Kubota ZG327 (60", gas, 800 hours) ... $4,500 ... probably 10-12 years old

I was really hoping to say in the $4500 - $5000 range

The ZD21 is diesel so O would think 950 hours is not bad ... but it is 20 years old/

I like the ZG327 as it is gas (since I don't have any other diesel equipment) ... but 800 hours on a 10-12 year old gas motor seems like a lot.

New just seems to be out of my price range (cheapest 60" I found was a JD at HD ... $5K ... but I was warned about "low end" home units).

Any advice ??????

Thanks .... Mike

/ Zero turn mower advice #2  
I couldn't tell you much about mowers except they all seem to use the same engines from kawasaki or kholer.

I just purchased a cub cadet ZTS2 60

I only test drove a toro and the cub cadet but had to make a decision as I didn't have any mower for my acreage and mowing season was coming. The reason I chose the cub cadet was purely because of the wheel. I think the toro timecutter 60" is roughly the same price, they both seem very solid as far as frame. The wheel on the cub cadet along with the front wheel actually steering and not just free wheeling is pretty comfy. Just did my first mow today of roughly 2 acres and it was about 75 minutes, granted I dont know the best route yet and I have to edge a lot of fence posts. I'm sure as I get more confident ill be able to cut that down to sub 1hr.

/ Zero turn mower advice #3  
My JD Z355E (48" deck), petrol, was A$5,000-ish. New this year. I mow approximately 3 acres at a time = an hour and a bit.

I don't know where in the world you reside but they're out there.

/ Zero turn mower advice #4  
Ariens Edge 52 for my better half to cut 2 and a half acres was 2800 brand new 2 years ago .
3DCD649B-31BD-4B07-AB43-070CD453B71A.jpeg

/ Zero turn mower advice #5  
My old cub cadet (LT1050 lawn tractor) has seen better days.

I have 2 1/2 - 3 acres to cut.

It takes me about 5 hours.

I borrowed a Kubota ZD21 from the neighbor (farmer) .. 20 year old diesel commercial unit ...

WOW ... 2 hours and done!

SO ... I started looking.

Looks like I can get a decent residential unit (say a toro with a 60 " deck) for about $6K to $8K ...OUCH!

Or ... I can get a 20 year old ZD21 for about the same price (I see one out there for $5400, 950 hours).

And I see a Kubota ZG327 (60", gas, 800 hours) ... $4,500 ... probably 10-12 years old

I was really hoping to say in the $4500 - $5000 range

The ZD21 is diesel so O would think 950 hours is not bad ... but it is 20 years old/

I like the ZG327 as it is gas (since I don't have any other diesel equipment) ... but 800 hours on a 10-12 year old gas motor seems like a lot.

New just seems to be out of my price range (cheapest 60" I found was a JD at HD ... $5K ... but I was warned about "low end" home units).

Any advice ??????

Thanks .... Mike
Mike,
I just went through the whole ZTR (which model, make) decision. For me, it really boiled down to Big Box or a local dealer where I could get service and parts. I have 3 acres with lots of trees and obstacles to mow around.
The decision is a tough one once you start looking at the details. My previous mower was a JD Z425 (48"); which I had 12 years and was still in good shape. I wanted to upgrade to a newer machine, so sold that one. In MY investigations, the $$ are significantly different depending on mindboggling factors. As I mentioned, if I looked local, I had Big Box (Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply) - sure there is a warrantee, but NO service, NO parts (except minor ones). The Kubota dealer was about 40 miles.
There is a local John Deere, and a local Hustler dealer. I went with the Hustler.
On your specific questions, IMHO, I think that is a LOT of hours on those used machines ! WOW, 800-950 hours. I do not think it's necessarily the engine to be concerned about, although that is a lot of run time on them. The hydraulics. belts, spindles, carb, deck parts.... for me, I would opt for a "residential" NEW model before spending THAT much a machine with that many hours.
So, my advice (unless you are a mechanic) is to buy a residential model. I think you can find a good one in your price range. If you have for example a local dealer, and the same machine at Home Depot, go with the dealer. Not only for the service, but I do not believe the machines are the SAME. I found Big Box stores order a "cheapened" model although it is hard to tell by looking these days. Just my 2 cents.

/ Zero turn mower advice #6  
I cut about 3-4 acres of grass a week between my home and a commercial property we own. I have had a Walker GHS now for about 5-6 years. Its cut unlit you is very nice. Leaves really nice stripes if that's what you like. It also has the box on the back that is large enough for about 1/2 acre worth of clippings if it's not overgrown when you are cutting. They are expensive today..like 12k when I bought it and more like 15k now..The only problem we have had with it was a blown head gasket due to grass getting packed around a cylinder and it over heated. Pretty easy inexpensive fix.

/ Zero turn mower advice #7  
I use to run the big box store mowers, they lasted on average about two to three years before the engines started failing, all air-cooled. My Kubota dealer sent out a ZD323 for me to try (this is back in 2012), and I'm still running it. It cuts about 4 acres per session. I'm never going back to gas, gas engines are just too much effort compared to diesel.

What I considered, even though the ZD was big bucks (I think I paid around 12 grand for it back in 2012), is longevity. If I bought the ZD, how long will it last? I've been cutting with it for 10 years and all I do to it is scheduled maintenance. It sips fuel compared to the gassers and I am just about at the break-even point if still buying big-box mowers.

If that ZD21 has had scheduled maintenance, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. 950 hours on a diesel is nothing.

1652703806414.png

Last edited:
   / Zero turn mower advice #8  
Bought a Ryobi ZT480e last year. Replaced tires with these this year. Can do 1/2 your lawn in one charge.

Attachments

• New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (1).jpg
    New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (1).jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 103
   / Zero turn mower advice #9  
I bought a Ferris IS2600Z diesel zero turn and mow about 2-3 acres. Very fuel efficient and cut my mowing time better than half. Be sure which ever brand you get it has suspension or you're going to be slowed down if your property is not smooth. This is 5th season and it was the best decision I made for a zero turn.

/ Zero turn mower advice #10  
I am a Kubota ZD21 owner, currently at 1,400 hours, still using the original belt, I love it ! 950 hours on a used ZD21 seems like a pretty low hours machine if it has been properly operated and maintained.
My Kubota has a walking beam type front axel which I prefer but I don’t think any of the new zero turn mowers are available with the walking beam axel any more. I have also operated Ferris mowers with suspension, the suspension works nice but not really any better than walking beam.
One thing I don’t like about my ZD21 is the inside of the deck is much harder to scrape clean because it’s not smooth and there are so many more places for the grass to get stuck , the Ferris decks seem much smoother inside easier to scrape clean.

Last edited: