This has to be a record !!!

/ This has to be a record !!! #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
It’s not a tractor, but it’s more than worth mentioning.

I just had a 2020 almost brand new whirlpool fridge ice maker go bad…no more whirlpools ever again.

During my rant, l just learned that my 94 yr old uncle has a wedding gift that is still working. It’s a 72 yr old Sears & Roebuck Coldspot freezer that is still cranking out the cold temps. Can you believe it??? I’ve enclosed the ser & model #’s so you can look up the dates. It’s been plugged in the whole time, minus 3 move times…what a beast !!!

Attachments

• 598554A2-5BFE-4946-9B83-FC5E2E6E9C43.jpeg
    598554A2-5BFE-4946-9B83-FC5E2E6E9C43.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 287
  • AB9DCD13-92C5-4652-A477-2FB4474E89A7.jpeg
    AB9DCD13-92C5-4652-A477-2FB4474E89A7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 294
  • 66F1DEE8-774E-4659-B193-F16A2B70D559.jpeg
    66F1DEE8-774E-4659-B193-F16A2B70D559.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 300
   / This has to be a record !!! #2  
YEP
Give me that older, repairable and simpler appliance.
ON/OFF hotter or cooler.

Also have , (like a huge) chest freezer that has never lost me any food.
OK, about once a year I have to defrost and clear out accumulated ice but never lost any food.

Same goes for washers and driers, give me ON/OFF and never mind those fancy settings that I'll never use anyway.

Today the trend is to go digital on everything and not supply parts other than an assembly that is 1/3 the price of the appliance.
Then like my dehumidifier--worked OK but a fan shattered from age and ozone exposure.
Part no longer available!
LOL, I hot glue repaired it!

Then my 25 year old air conditioner, heavy old beast but still blows nice and cold.

Did I say, BAH HUMBUG?

/ This has to be a record !!! #3  
Give me that older, repairable and simpler appliance.
Amen, I wish, you're right on the money P.
Stoves that you can replace the elements, controls etc and not the complete thing. A mechanical control that works fine for decades and finally dies costs about $50-$70, the new electronic ones are almost the price of a complete stove.
I don't need a washer to tell me how much water I need. My daughter has a fairley new washer and it weighs the clothes to set the water level, you have no control. You can't fill it and let it soak for a hour or so. You unplug it to let it soak and it empties the water when you plug it back in. No temperature control for different cycles, it's a piece of ____ fill in the blank......M

/ This has to be a record !!!
Amen, I wish, you're right on the money P.
Stoves that you can replace the elements, controls etc and not the complete thing. A mechanical control that works fine for decades and finally dies costs about $50-$70, the new electronic ones are almost the price of a complete stove.
I don't need a washer to tell me how much water I need. My daughter has a fairley new washer and it weighs the clothes to set the water level, you have no control. You can't fill it and let it soak for a hour or so. You unplug it to let it soak and it empties the water when you plug it back in. No temperature control for different cycles, it's a piece of ____ fill in the blank......M
Right on Mike for your post and reference to P's

Give me On/Off, Go/Start and drop all the other BS !!!!

My Aunt and Uncle have 6 kids/spouses/grandkids/ggrd-kids and they have the Sears & RoeBuck as the number one item in the will [LOL]. They joke about it outlasting the entire family...They have never lost one oz of food...it's also used when they really want to chill down the suds....

/ This has to be a record !!! #6  
Sadly the better products on the market today are made by Samsung or LG out of Korea, but there is all the pricing....

/ This has to be a record !!! #8  
My grandfathers house had an old refrigerator in his basement/bar area. When he passed and we were cleaning out all the stuff, I opened that fridge and there was ICE cold Miller Lite and Budweiser 6 packs in there from the late 70's.

Looking back, I wish that I had got that fridge but at the time did not even think about it and did not want to fool with it. Not sure what the brand was but it was white with chrome on it. Totally awesome. I should have got that fridge!!

/ This has to be a record !!! #9  
Tell me about it. New stuff isn't built near as strong. Just had a new AC and water heater installed.

Both old units that were replaced were 1993 models. Almost 30 years on a water heater...unheard of nowadays. Bottom was about to finally rust out. AC still ran great but needed to be recharged and a couple of different companies told me the freon needed was banned in 2020.

I figured just replace them both. I hope I get atleast 10 years, hopefully more out of them

/ This has to be a record !!! #10  
We've become a throw away society. Companies build appliances (and most everything else) to hopefully last long enough to get through the warranty period. When they fail the parts to fix them sometimes cost nearly as much as a new one or they're unavailable, so it's more cost effective to just replace the whole appliance. Most people also lack the knowledge and skills to fix anything these days, so when something simple breaks they just go buy a new one. For example, I recently scored a nearly new looking but dust covered kerosene "torpedo" heater for free that someone had set aside at the local garbage transfer station. It wasn't working so I gave it a good cleaning and noticed the air filter was packed full of saw dust. I cleaned the filter, added a couple gallons of kerosene and it fired right up and ran fine. I'm sure whoever dropped it off just wasn't very mechanically inclined and replaced it with a new one. Oh well, their loss my gain! I don't really have much use for the thing since I heat everything with wood but it might come in handy someday.

Last edited: