Comparison The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I like that advice and also... "be careful of what you wish for (cheap), as you may just get it." When you go shopping for any tractor, vehicle or attachment or even tools, you find out very quickly how good was your buy. If you see a issue with the new ones on the lot, that gives you a good clue as to what to expect once you get it off the lot. So you need to do your homework before you buy, and quickly weed out the bad ones from the good, and its not that hard if you truly look IMHO.

Quality and dependability are always key to satisfaction in a product, service and dealer support are the next thing you have to go over, and the engineering and manufacturing also need to looked at as you can find it can cause problems that remain even if the part is replaced.

So if you are comparing tractors, and one is 10 percent lower, what good does it do if you have to take it the dealer every few weeks, or many times a year. The few dollars you save is not worth the aggravation and time waiting for a working tractor or leaving your product rotting in the field for others.

So lets get all the marketing and sales pitches out of the way and get to the hard facts...

No matter what people claim, one fact remains, and that is the John Deere tractor is the best selling in the US and IMHO, the most valued, so thats where you start your search...

You cannot deny that and thats why you must use it as the standard, to compare all the other brands, and rank them accordingly. Its one of those things, the standard is set by the lead dog, and the others follow....

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #2  
^^ Ask the farmer when his $100,000 combine is setting in the middle of a half harvested field while he waits for a JD Field Tech to come out with a laptop to reset a code.

I paid about $4,000 less than green and haven't had any major problems, or any problem that I couldn't resolve myself.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #3  
^^ Ask the farmer when his $100,000 combine is setting in the middle of a half harvested field while he waits for a JD Field Tech to come out with a laptop to reset a code.

I paid about $4,000 less than green and haven't had any major problems, or any problem that I couldn't resolve myself.
If your farmer only has a $100,000 combine it's old enough to not be protected by the "right to repair" debate.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #4  
If you buy the product that makes you happy, you will soon forget what you paid for it. If you compromise to save money and buy something you are not happy with, you will regret it every time you use it.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #5  
I agree with your thoughts about this subject. I use that philosophy in everything I purchase. I have my #1 based on my observations. Then I compare every other brand to that observation. Over the years I've changed my #1 in various items. I like that and don't argue with it. It's the free enterprise system that's propelled this country for a long time.

One example. Dewalt power tools, especially cordless. That's been my benchmark for 20 years. Until now. I've switched to Milwaukee. Dewalt got fat and lazy. Milwaukee was hungry for market share and surpassed Dewalt.

Another example. In the ATV/UTV world. Honda was the benchmark beginning with motorcycles in the '60s. Now in the UTV market Polaris has left Honda in their dust.

With tractors. I will pay more for a JD. I still have faith in their quality. I will pay more for a Kubota. I still have faith in their quality. Once I get past those two the field gets crowded quickly. There are many very good brands available. There are many brands available that I wouldn't haul home at any price.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #6  
If you buy the product that makes you happy, you will soon forget what you paid for it. If you compromise to save money and buy something you are not happy with, you will regret it every time you use it.
Along with that: if you listen to everybody else and don't pay attention to what your instincts are saying, you will regret it.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #7  

That $100,000 combine is about 30 years old a new combine is around $750.000 plus heads

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #10  
a fool & his money soon part ways
been there before