I have no idea what to buy

/ I have no idea what to buy #1  

mattnelsonesq

Tractor
Don't
Hey:

I am buying a property with about 1.8 acres of grass. This is my first time owning this much grass to mow and first time buying a ride on mower. Can anyone give me some directions on what the market looks like out there? What brand is garbage? Which is really high end but way overpriced? I live in SW Michigan which has a moderate amount of snow as well and the property is flat. Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt

/ I have no idea what to buy #2  
Hey:

I am buying a property with about 1.8 acres of grass. This is my first time owning this much grass to mow and first time buying a ride on mower. Can anyone give me some directions on what the market looks like out there? What brand is garbage? Which is really high end but way overpriced? I live in SW Michigan which has a moderate amount of snow as well and the property is flat. Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt
Be sure to check out our Compact Tractor Buying Guide article which is good for first time buyers.

/ I have no idea what to buy #3  
For just mowing… I’d get a ZTR.

I finish mow 2 acres with plenty of trees and a couple buildings, and I take my time. It takes me 75 minutes on my Hustler X-One 72”.

I really like the mower. It’s commercial duty with serviceable drive units and a commercial 29hp motor. It will outlive me, I’m pretty certain.

/ I have no idea what to buy #5  
Go for welded deck vs stamped deck. They all use the same engines from Kholer or Kawasaki. The ones I physically sat in (toro and cub cadet) both seemed equally solid. I imagine you'll be able to find a post/video for every model of mower that highlights an issue someone had.

For me, since I'm only doing one lawn per week, I imagine unless I abuse any mower it should last my lifetime. Hell when I a teenager we had the same mower at my mothers house for like 15 years and that thing was ABUSED. I'm talking no fucks given ridden hard put away wet maybe taken for a "tune up" every few years. I'm pretty sure my father got that thing used, and it still functioned when the house was sold.

You might value things differently but I stopped trying to min max what mower will give me those extra 300 hours 25 years from now and decided to go for comfort. I've never enjoyed mowing but since getting what I found the be comfortable and easy to drive (along with bluetooth hearing protection), I can solidly say that it's actually not too bad anymore.

for reference I have 3 acres to mow, I went with the ZTS2 60". It's the steering wheel version, extra comfy for lazy driving.

1653673037020.png

/ I have no idea what to buy #9  
I just cringe at grass farming. But i have a Deere rider. 2 acre lot but only actually “mow“ about 1/4 acre of it.

OP, leave some to wildlife, garden, and any mower will work.

/ I have no idea what to buy #10  
I would shy from the big box stores that's if service maybe needed later on.