Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,241  

This is the only TN made sub $20K EV IF one is paying $7500 in federal income tax that I know about. While this is a basic trim package it's basically what mine is after getting the new 40 KW battery.

It typically has 150 mile range so almost always a 100+ range unless you hold it on 94 MPH until it goes in Turtle Mode.

The Plus version is good for 220 miles and comes in higher trim package so it's more like $30,000 with the rebate. I would like that range because it would let me venture a hundred miles from home and get back and charge at the house. By slowing down to 35 or 40 mph you can increase the range of most EV by 30%.

My fuel cost is $0.035 per mile. Today it was $0.07 per mile because I ran the electric heat pump for a three and a half hours making a 30 Mile trip.

Today most cars and pickups will cost 10 to 50 cents per mile driven. 3.5 cents is much cheaper. :)

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,242  
CA has an excess of renewable energy during the day, it is sold or farmed out to neighboring states for super cheap….they almost cant give it away.
Yet during the day peak pricing charged from 4 to 9 pm???

If they can hardly give it away how does the PUC allow this exorbitant price structure?

Yesterday my 6kW array of year 2008 panels produced power without interruption until 8:26 pm.

On a side note PGE is 39 percent renewable… with 85% greenhouse gas free from solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and bioenergy.

By 2030 on target for 60%

The percent varies slightly based on hydro.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#1,244  
Yet during the day peak pricing charged from 4 to 9 pm???

If they can hardly give it away how does the PUC allow this exorbitant price structure?

Yesterday my 6kW array of year 2008 panels produced power without interruption until 8:26 pm.

On a side note PGE is 39 percent renewable… with 85% greenhouse gas free from solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and bioenergy.

By 2030 on target for 60%

The percent varies slightly based on hydro.
Here is a report from 2016, I think there was a newer one but I havent spent enough time yet.

Exorbitant price structure? Its CA!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,245  
I found the author's journey realistic for someone that's considering an electric car today.

As I sit here tonight in Stillwater, OK after making an 850 mile drive from South Bend, through Indy, then west, with one 10 minute stop just SW of St. Louis, in 12 hours flat, with zero planning as to where I would have to stop to refuel because there were probably 1000 gas stations along the way, I still cannot see myself taking an electric car on these types of necessary trips that we have to make several times per year. Stops, diversions, and wait times would add hours and probably an overnight stay along the way. If I was retired and had no deadlines, I might be able to make that drive.

As far as I can see, I do not want an electric vehicle for cross country trips on a deadline at this time in my life. I could make good use of an electric car around town, and for local jaunts, that's for sure.
For a cross country EV Tesla is about the only option I know about. The Model Y is the only arthritis friendly option in my case and it has increased $10K+ in price since the start of it's production making it a non starter at my house today.

Since getting our sub $14K 2016 Nissan Leaf SL in Oct 2019 l have learn so much.

Most people 70+ will never own an EV for fast cross country USA travel due to lack of availability and price point plus we just don't need one to function well in life.

EVs are in their element in stop and go traffic.

Insurance costs can be a factor. Heard of one Tesla owner selling because his insurance was over $600 per month but don't know any details. I would want Tesla to be selling insurance in KY before buying a Tesla even if EV ownership wasn't a financial roadblock. The only new car I ever purchased cost $2150 and was a 1973 Datsun 1200.

I never plan to DC fast charge this new 2020 40 kWh Nissan traction battery will keep me within 60-65 miles of our house that will cover 98.7 percent of my driving needs. I put 12K miles on the new 40 kWh in the first 9 months prior to it getting totalled when flipping a Toyota van onto it's roof after it ran a red light.

Traveling 100 miles for the cost of 0.70 gallon of gas encourages more trips today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,246  
Sounds like low end EV options are not showing up just yet. It may have to do with the lack of batteries so maybe one day affordable EVS will show up.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,247  
I found the author's journey realistic for someone that's considering an electric car today.
Is reasonable for depending upon the government to fuel your EV.

Is unreasonable to expect the government's pet Electrify America who is the recipient of all Dieselgate fines to do anything but optimized the spending of funds in such a way as to appease government accountants.

So far they are living down to that expectation.

As I sit here tonight in Stillwater, OK after making an 850 mile drive from South Bend, through Indy, then west, with one 10 minute stop just SW of St. Louis, in 12 hours flat, with zero planning as to where I would have to stop to refuel because there were probably 1000 gas stations along the way, I still cannot see myself taking an electric car on these types of necessary trips that we have to make several times per year. Stops, diversions, and wait times would add hours and probably an overnight stay along the way. If I was retired and had no deadlines, I might be able to make that drive.

What point 1000 gas stations when there is a reliable Tesla Supercharger every 100 miles?

EV Trip Planner says there are at least 12 Tesla Superchargers on that route. 816.1 miles, 12:50 driving, 14:24 total for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

ABRP thinks the Kia EV6 can do it in total 14:05 with stops totalling 1:08 and $92 using government CCS chargers. My money is on the Tesla getting there first.

Comparing apples with apples, ABRP with Tesla Model 3 LR is 12:40 driving (faster? no, fewer detours off the route to get to charging stations) 14:00 total and only $45. I think EVTripPlanner has a better track record than ABRP for estimating trip power usage.

Trip cost with ABRP isn't quite right. Assumes one starts with 90% charge and arrives with 10%. So it is short the cost of charging 180% of your vehicle's battery capacity. Interesting how the government chargers cost double what Tesla bills.

Yup, simply awful to have to add an hour and a half to a 13 hour drive which any reasonable person would do rather than drive 13 hours nonstop. Clearly EVs are totally impractical for long distance road trips.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,248  
Here is a report from 2016, I think there was a newer one but I havent spent enough time yet.

Exorbitant price structure? Its CA!
Ya think Clean Energy Grid dot Org isn't biased? They wouldn't have written the article had it not said things the way they wanted to spin.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,249  
Comments on WSJ article.

I don't think the above is discussing the same WSJ article as earlier cited. The above is New Orleans/Chicago while the more recent was New Orleans/San Francisco. I don't pay to get through the WSJ's paywall. Used to be able to read the WSJ by turning off Javascript but they figured that one out.

Or am I the confused one? Quite frankly both drove Kia EV6 and both might as well had Dumb & Dumber navigating.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,250